Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cross Keys temperance inn near Sedbergh, Cumbria

I'll stay on me own

Hi Conrad,

Yes you are right this site is about pubs past and present and as you know i do put pubs on from the past so i hold my hands up and say sorry about that last comment i had my head in a real ale bubble yet again and did'nt think what most people use this site for.

Alan.

I have now visited the Cross Keys Temperance Inn, intending to take a photo and write a review. The photos have been uploaded, and if you look carefully you will see a man standing near the door in one of the photos. As I approached the door, intending to go in for a drink, he accosted me thus:

"Can I help you?"

Now, I've had this question put to me a number of times in a number of different ways, but this one clearly had the intonation which implies: "You seem to have gone astray and are encroaching on private property. Now f*** off before I set the dogs on you!"

I replied that I had been taking a photo of the pub and now wanted to go in for a drink. The landlord (for it was he) said "It's not a pub". I said that I realised that it did not serve alcohol but that I understood one could go in and purchase a non-alcoholic drink. He then told me there was a private party on - there was no notice of this outside as I have seen on numerous other occasions when a (proper) pub hires all or part of itself out like this.

I said this shed new light on his offer to help me, because clearly he had no intention of helping me. He said he thought I might have been one of the party, or was seeking directions. The tone of voice used made it clear that he didn't expect me to believe this, and didn't care either.

I said that it was a shame I couldn't come in for a drink, as the pub was listed on a website called Pubs Galore and that if it wasn't possible to get a drink then it might be delisted. (This was just a bluff, of course!) He said "Fine", and went inside.

Luckily I had already purchased some non-alcoholic beverages from the alcohol-free shop in Failsworth on my way to Cumbria, so I was able to drown my sorrows later.

What do others think about a review based on the above? How much can I leave in or what should I leave out? I like Rex Rattus's idea about adding something of the history of the place (from my first post last December), and obviously I won't give it a rating, having failed miserably in my attempt to buy a drink. I'm disappointed not to have made it inside, of course, but I now have no desire whatsoever to go back for a second attempt. He might threaten me with a shotgun next time.

Any volunteers?
    Come On You Hatters!

Glass Half Empty

I think that's an excellent review, SH. Suggest you just post it and then knock back some Henderson's Relish straight out of the bottle if you're still feeling temperate.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    What do others think about a review based on the above? How much can I leave in or what should I leave out? I like Rex Rattus's idea about adding something of the history of the place...
    I think most of us agreed that the criteria for inclusion were largely based on its historical significance and so a potted history is a given. After your rather unfortunate experience I don't think some mention of what happened is unreasonable. A great shame, after just trying to do the guy a favour.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I think it should be posted as set out above. Litigious concerns have been mooted elsewhere, but any site of this ilk surely ought to be to warn punters of pubs to avoid, as well as commending those to visit. If this idiot is so disinterested in customers, it'll hardly matter. One has to wonder how such folk find themselves in a service industry, or any people-facing role.

I think that most of us would get grumpy if we had to spend all day everyday in a pub with no beer.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I think that most of us would get grumpy if we had to spend all day everyday in a pub with no beer.
    Agreed, but we choose NOT to, and therefore mostly avoid venting our acohol-less spleen.

Thanks to all for their comments, encouragement and commiseration. (I decided to swerve the "Henderson's Relish straight out of the bottle", though.) I have now posted the review. If anyone has any further comments on or suggestions for amendments to the review, I would be happy to consider them.

Cheers
    Come On You Hatters!