Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Worst Day Of The Year For Pub Regulars

Went out about 8:30 last night and The Baum was heaving and apparently it had been all day, but by 9:30 it had quietened down and was probably less busy than a normal Friday night.

Then went down to The Regal Moon which was also very busy, but it calmed down about 10:30.

If that was "nutters Friday" for this year then it all went OK.

Just have to see what happens next week.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Glass Half Empty

Croydon last night wasn't half as bad as I expected. The beer in the Green Dragon seems to have improved again and it wasn't ridiculously packed

There was a foulmouthed ranting slapper on the Wimbledon tram at the end of the night, but that seems almost par for the course these days and probably nothing to do with Black Friday.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

We had our work "do" yesterday in The Boaters Inn which was excellent and the beer range and quality was fine. Then someone later on decided to drag everyone back into town, to of all places, The Slug and Lettuce. It was hideous, music thumping out, four deep at the bar, no means of talking to anyone, I had one and left.

Default Strange Phenomenon in Hammersmith

For reasons entirely connected to having a voucher for a free pint, I hesitantly ventured into The Trout after work yesterday, expecting it to be absolutely rammed. However, I almost got a seat. Strange...

I'll stay on me own

I am now 49 years old and been drinking in pubs since 1978.

I have never heard of Black Friday, i have either lead a very sheltered life or this is some new crap slogan made up by the BBC,ITV or Sky to put people off enjoying one of the best times of the year.
    In the future when drinking is banned like smoking has almost been ( i have never smoked ) everbody will be happy,but then again they will find something else to moan about probably chocolate.

This sort of hype really P****S me off.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Yesterday was our annual pub crawl around Hertford ,managed to squeeze in six pubs but I have seen the town busier in prior years.Even the queue for a taxi after consuming a decent curry wasn't as fraught ,and I only spotted one vomitter.However this was only 1am.

The only ugly event was my garlic breath this morning,as politely pointed out by Mrs F.

This Space For Hire

Fortunately our works do was on Friday which meant we had our own place hired out, however I went out for a couple before the event and had to think very carefully about where to go in order to get served and a seat. The Duck and Drake (Leeds) it was then!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
    Croydon ...

There was a foulmouthed ranting slapper on the Wimbledon tram at the end of the night, but that seems almost par for the course these days and probably nothing to do with Black Friday.
    One of those things that Croydon does well.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    According to an item on the radio this morning (predictably lazy piece about the West End "Booze Bus") yesterday was Black Friday, Doubtless next Friday will be too.
    I hadn't heard of this festive day, but then I don't get out much now... When I was a regular, Christmas Eve was a rare night-we'd work our way round the handpumps, and the landlord would ferry out trays of mince pies. For a while, New Year's Eve was a big night, until pubs got greedy, and made it ticket only, so we stayed at home. The only difference from Christmas Eve was that instead of hogging mince pies, we got to snog the barmaids. Busy nights, but very rarely any trouble.(Though the b/maids might beg to differ!.)
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

I've heard the term Black Friday before, but I thought that someone on a now defunct pub forum made it up.

The misses went to the Basketmakers in Brighton on Friday for a work do and she said Brighton was heaving, even more than usual. She did get a bit peed off with some of the regulars in the pub who thought it was fine to tut at and make comments about people that had invaided their pub. The governor didn't seem very upset by the bumper pay day, miserable sods should have stayed at home.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES