Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Worst Day Of The Year For Pub Regulars

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    also any day you go to a Shrewsbury v Walsall match, eh Oggy?
    Only time i have ever been arrested was October 1988 , fighting with Walsall fans , misspent youth
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    not sure where we stand on copyright but.....
    Attachment 465
    I missed it! Any chance of a pm attachment ob?
    Cheers.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

For me it’s any day in the couple of weeks leading up to Christmas. Working in London I tend to avoid central pubs as much as I can during this period. Thankfully as soon as it’s all over things get back to normal. Here’s a Christmas Rant I wrote for an unofficial work newsletter back in 2006.

Here we are, right in the middle of the party season, the time of year that professional drinkers in the City dread. We tend to stay out of pubs in the same way that hardened racegoers wouldn't dream of going to Ascot on Ladies Day or residents of Notting Hill decamp to the country on carnival weekend.

The bars are full of "pub tourists" and of course the office party crowd is easy to spot. At lunchtimes there'll be giggling girlies with an array of flashing headgear lunching on rocket salads and something slimline. They'll be accompanied by a couple of uncomfortable looking blokes who aren't even used to sitting down in a pub let alone interrupting the pursuit of ebriety with food.

Evening time and the "we must have a team Christmas drink" brigade are out in force. Typically 6-10 people but this time the blokes will outnumber the women, all of whom will be trying desperately to look interested and amused by the inane and innuendo ridden outpourings from their male colleagues.

The first round is generally on the company, then the most senior male will feel obliged to buy a round, either by way of thanks for the staff's work throughout the year, or just by a fear of them talking about him if he doesn't.

Then comes the awkward period, when everyone has all but finished their drinks but no-one wants to get caught for a round, occasionally the girls will be practical and suggest they split a round. The conversation then starts to dwindle, I mean once you've asked the two basic questions, "have you bought all your presents yet?" and "where are you spending Christmas?" there's not much else to talk about without mentioning work.

Certainly you won't find me in too many City pubs around Christmas. Thankfully most people who know me realise that an invitation for a "Christmas drink" will usually be met with a look similar to that they would expect had they shat in my hat and offered it back to me.

What you pub tourists fail to realise is that not only are you spoiling it for the rest but you are supporting a false economy. What happens to the livelihood of all those bar staff and pub landlords when you disappear for another 11 months, with only a brief appearance at Birthdays and lottery syndicate wins. Remember
    A PUB IS FOR LIFE NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Bah Humbug... I'm off to the Bank of England for an industry Christmas drink on Wednesday, meeting at 18:30 but I'll be in Victoria by 16:00 so should get a few pubs in before hand. Not the biggest fan of the BoE so I shall be banking on making a quick withdrawal!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Probably second only behind going to O'Neills in Bristol on St Patricks day will be my visit this afternoon to the Knights (Shites) Templar at Temple Meads on black Friday,that day when most of the orifice party twats are about.................

Well, I've come to this thread late, and a good many others no doubt, but I fancy joining the 'bah-humbug' debate. I'm as misery-gutted as the next bloke, no way I'll be about Christmas or New Year'e evening. But I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy my, booked and paid for' Christmas lunch at the Drover's Inn, Gussage All Saints in Dorset.
    After all, I have for the last four or five years now.
    During my cabby days, about 16 years or so, I hated Christmas and New Year's Eve with a passion, no matter how profitable they may have bee. But, Christmas Day, best day of the year! No pubs, no drunken flag downs, just private address to private adress, everyone glad to see you, rates of pay great and tips even better...........
    Those were the days, and I salute their memory. Brilliant..
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

New Years Eve has to be the worst by a country mile.

When I was younger I used to love it. A great night out. What makes my blood boil is pubs charging ridiculous amounts for "tickets only on New Years Eve" nights. Some of these places would gladly beg you to come in and spend some money for 364 nights of the year but feel they can charge you an entrance fee for one night.

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post

When I was younger I used to love it. A great night out. What makes my blood boil is pubs charging ridiculous amounts for "tickets only on New Years Eve" nights. Some of these places would gladly beg you to come in and spend some money for 364 nights of the year but feel they can charge you an entrance fee for one night.
    Funny you should say that as I was in a pub on Wednesday evening that had ads up for thier NYE party quoting £3 a ticket which gains admission and pays for a pint up to the value of £3.40 at the bar, which was any beer or lager.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Only time i have ever been arrested was October 1988 , fighting with Walsall fans , misspent youth
    I've never been nicked (far too clever), but I did wake up in a cell in Streatham nick one Saturday morning after a night in Ceasars across the road where it was £17.50 to get in and all drinks were free. Still doesn't stop me moaning about the yoof of today though!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post

Yes,I used to love it-a trip or two round the handpumps and a snog with the barmaids,but when Cityboy demanded a tenner from the locals-forget it!