Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Worst Day Of The Year For Pub Regulars

The first week in January, all those people not drinking as they are cutting back / giving up as a new year's resolution etc. Pathetic. I find I tend to drink more as everyone else is being so miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Never again, Never again
    until next year...........

Easy: New Years Eve.

No doubt I’ll be in a pub for part of the evening at least, but New Years Eve is not a favourite time for drinking out. My friend and I retired to his house just after midnight last year and raided the liquor cabinet with mother and sister – and it was a much better evening for it, actually.

As with most others I never go in a Pub on New years Eve Its bad enough If I have too work on Late Duty's putting up with all the once a year piss heads and trying to get them home afterwards. If I not working I would not normally go out.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Glass Half Full

football match days, especially derby days when two local rival teams play as pubs may close, turn into a battleground or insist on catering to the fans with TV coverage of the neo-religion that is the match

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurchappell View Post
    football match days, especially derby days when two local rival teams play as pubs may close, turn into a battleground or insist on catering to the fans with TV coverage of the neo-religion that is the match
    I'll second that, I found myself in Liverpool during the Merseyside Derby earlier in the year and, not knowing the area well, had no idea if I was walking into a staunch blue pub, a red pub or a relatively neutral one. Although I'm not convinced the term neutral exists in Liverpool .

PS Welcome to the forums
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

This Space For Hire

Ventured into the Adelphi in Leeds on 23rd for a French girl's leaving do. It's usually a quite charming place in there with a slightly quirky atmosphere and all round decent venue. (And usually has Thornbridge Jaipur on).

However on the 23rd it had the typical Carling drinker from a flat roofed pub standing doing what they usually do - blocking the bar, blocking doorways, coarse language, making any female (or male with them) feel uncomfortable with their leering. Why can't they stay in their hovels?

We're getting to that weekend again! Pubs by the bucketload advertising Halloween nights this weekend. Town centres across the land will be full of drunken Brides of Frankenstein's and Witches of Eastwick all clutching WKD's and staggering zombielike down the High Street. Actually, Dartford is like that most Saturdays.

Then after this week end it will be firework party's the week after then the start of the office piss up season till Christmas & the new year piss ups all yet too come worst luck
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

I do not subscribe to Halloween. The rubbish bins are put out of harms way and the letter box blocked up for the night. I retire to my bedroom at the back with some bottles, my laptop and some films. Not a ray of light showing. Bah Humbug to the lot of em. ( I am getting pretty good at this "crusty old git lark ).