Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite Winter Warmers.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default Your Favourite Winter Warmers.

With the big freeze forecast to return on Thursday, winter warmers are coming into their own and I’ve certainly got my dark, strong beer head on at the moment.

For me, locally, there are two mainstream classics available in Black Sheep ‘Riggwelter’ and Theakston’s ‘Old Peculier’. Also, Jennings ‘Snecklifter’ from a little further away, over the Cumbrian border. I’m also on the lookout for Acorn ‘Gorlovka’, Elland ‘1872’ and Ossett ‘Treacle Stout’, but will try anything that looks promising!

What’s everybody else hoping to find / enjoying?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I'll stay on me own

I always like to have a drink of Robinsons Old Tom barley wine its around the 8% mark and very drinkable on a cold winters day.

It is fairly hard to find on draught but is available in botles in most Robinsons pubs.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Having just come back from Bruges, we enjoyed some Christmas beers there. At 2 Be, we enjoyed Delirium Noel at 10% and Goulden Carolus Christmas at 10.5%. Bush Noel on tap at 12% was the winner at De Garre and on tap at Erasmus we enjoyed Malheur 12 at 12%.

Anyone going over there for Christmas, Erasmus is putting 12 Christmas beers on tap.

Back home, we are looking forward to a crawl round Gloucester tomorrow. Will see what's on offer in the way of Christmas beers here. Looking for bottled Youngs Christmas Pudding. Heavenly! Hook Norton 12 Days on draught goes down well too.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Last December in the cold snap I really enjoyed Harvey's Christmas Ale which needs to be treated with due respect at 8.1% .The only outlet I am aware of in London is The Royal Oak ,Borough so I am tempted to make a pilgrimage down there during the remainder of the month.Harvey's Old Ale is also good ,and quaffable at 4.3% and useful to wash down the Christmas Ale.

Closer to home Mc Mullens used to offer Stronghart on draught as a seasonal ale ,7% and probably their best ale but I've got a feeling that it's only available in bottles and not carried at many of their tied houses.I will keep an eye out for it on a pub crawl in Hertford later this week.

Youngs Winter Warmer used to be good when brewed in Wandsworth,not tried the Bedford version but that's another possibility for us boozers down south.

Spritzer Swallower

Not generally a big fan of Youngs beers, but always enjoyed their Winter Warmer. Pleased to report that, in my view, it is still as good as ever.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brakslover View Post
    Not generally a big fan of Youngs beers, but always enjoyed their Winter Warmer. Pleased to report that, in my view, it is still as good as ever.
    That's good news. I've just noticed that Pubsignman has rated it as his BOTW ,so with two thumbs up I will give it a go next time i'm in a Youngs house.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Not much on offer in this neck of the woods, mostly around here are Fuller's [ex Gales] and not noticed much new, when Gales was around it was of course the Winterbrew

I'll echo the Youngs Winter Warmer sentiments. I'm not generally a Youngs or a Winter Beer person but always a decent pint when I've tried it. My BotW last week, Nelson Brewery Nelsons Blood is a very drinkable 6%er albeit not actually a seasonal pint but it has cropped up in a couple of local pubs in recent weeks and ticks several boxes.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

On a freezing weekend in Chester a few weeks ago i found Lymestone , Stone the Crows (5.4%) did a decent job of keeping the chill out
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I tried a mighty fine Highgate Old Ale (5.35%) last week. It's one of the 300 Beers to Try Before You Die. (Currently available from the brewery door, bright, in 5 litre casks)
    Waes hael!