Visit the a swift one site

Ironically, in view of my previous blog, I had cause to visit Leeds yesterday. I did go by car but as the M62 had ground to a halt I had to return via the old A62. It seemed the ideal opportunity to call in at a pub I had not visited for years and see what had happened to it. This is what I found.

The New Inn, at Roberttown lies just of the main A62 in the village centre itself. An imposing stone building, it is not hard to find, standing on a corner by a mini roundabout. For the driver it does have a large car park at the rear.

It is a pleasant environment to call for a beer, with the main lounge an airy and welcoming room, large and bright with plenty of tables and seating and should you feel the need to relax even more,a red leather suite in one corner. It is open from 12 noon every day, and on my visit, I doubled the clientele in the bar. There is food served with a mixture of old favourites and more modern fayre on the menu at a reasonable price, shame no one was eating when I called in.

My reason for calling was actually to chase a Mallinsons beer that had previously eluded me, and rumour told me was available on the bar. It was, so I settled down with a pint and watched the world go by. I believe, although am not 100% sure, that there will be a permanent Mallys house beer on the bar in the near future, the pub is having a competition to name it at the moment, so that makes another good reason to call in. Notwithstanding this though, there are 5 other draught beers on the bar, with offerings from Leeds, Adnams, Riverhead, and Nottingham also available when I called, and covering all styles of ale to satisfy any drinker. The staff obviously care about their beer, the efforts the bar man put into pulling a decent pint of Leeds for a customer was very impressive.

There is also a good range of soft drinks and the usual range of lagers on the bar should that be your thing.

In view of my previous post I did a bit of research on my return and discovered that the pub is well served from Huddersfield by the 229 Arriva bus route with buses every 30 minutes and a journey time of around half and hour. Not too long for us oldies to hang on on the return journey then !!

All in all, another pub to add to the list on the fringes of the town that are worth a call. Maybe a short crawl covering here, the Black Bull at Liversedge, the New Charnwood at Heckmondwike and the White Horse at Bradley would be a possibility. But that is one for the future. Hopefully, the pub will do well, it is another village local, and needs the locals to support it. From what I saw, I hope they do.

More...