Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Real ale prices????

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by pintplease View Post
    In the 1980ies Thatcher declared that Breweries should no longer be allowed to own large numbers of pubs, because she said they had a monopoly. The monopoly of course just changed hands from the breweries into the hands of large pub companies.

In my area Tetleys owned most of the pubs and they used to set the price of a pint in the "tap room" it was the same price in all their pubs in the area, the lounge/best room was usually 2 or 3 pence more. You could go in any Tetley house knowing the price of a pint of mild or bitter before you walked in.

Following Thatchers interference, the price self regulation set by Tetleys disappeared along with their ownership, opening the doors to a "free for all" The tap rooms became a very rare sight, many were removed when pubs were refurbished and were not included in new builds. Pubs now charge whatever they can get away with which is an amount that mugs sorry customers are prepared to pay. I am sure this situation must have been repeated throughout the country when other breweries lost out on pub ownership.
    We now have a situation in Leeds where the price of a pint from pub to pub can vary by as much as £1.50plus. I used to enjoy roaming round different pubs but not anymore.
    I tend to stick to the ones where I know the prices are affordable and don't risk going in the others, I simply cant afford it ! I think drinkers should be a lot more choosy about which pubs they use. Currently I never pay above £2.15 per pint.
    I didn't start my legal drinking career until last decade, just as the split pricing in pubs was being phased out. I remember a Kronenbourg being £1.98 "one side of the bar" and £2.0x the other side.

I don't think there is anything wrong with pubs "charging what they can get away with" so long as the price is signalled in advance. OK, a little sign on the wall is all they are legally obliged to do, but how about prices above handpumps, like Wetherspoons?

There's a few places I like in Leeds which have very good atmospheres precisely because they charge a lot (keeping out the chavs) and offer premium products - where else but North Bar can you get Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA on tap, that was around £2.40 a half last Friday I recall. At 7.2% you're not missing out too much on bang for your buck and it's a slower drink than a pint anyway in order to enjoy it.

(And there are some places in Leeds which have crap atmospheres because they charge a lot!)

For a bog standard bitter (or boring brown beer like Tetley's ) I'd begrudge paying over £2.15 as well.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

'tis a different world oop North, £2.40 a pint, I wish, last time [except for 'spoons] I saw a 2.40 pint was over 5 years ago, if I find one under just £3 I think I am lucky

Comes down to what market will bear as mentioned earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    'tis a different world oop North, £2.40 a pint, I wish, last time [except for 'spoons] I saw a 2.40 pint was over 5 years ago, if I find one under just £3 I think I am lucky

Comes down to what market will bear as mentioned earlier
    The last time I was in Leeds (end of February) I paid;

£2.10 for Tetleys Cask
    £2.10 at the Fox & Newt for Burley St Brickyard 3.7% (very short measure though)
    £2.20 for Dark Star 4% in Foleys
    £2.76 for Mallinsons 4% in Veritas
    £2.95 for Thwaites Nutty Black 3.3% in the Victoria

I was also charged £2.90 for some Sarsons pretending to be Leeds Pale

Average prices in North Yorkshire are around the 2.70 -2.90 mark so Leeds is worth a bus ride if you choose your pub carefully.

Just come back from the Isle of Wight where very few ales were under £3. The Yates YSD at the Ship & Castle in Esat Cowes was a massive £3.60. Ouch (it was about 5.5% but even so). I bought a bottle of Garlic Ale from the Garlic Farm (well you just have to) which was £3.50. The comments on ratebeer suggest that it is disgusting stuff so not keen on trying it but you only live once.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Just come back from the Isle of Wight where very few ales were under £3. The Yates YSD at the Ship & Castle in Esat Cowes was a massive £3.60. Ouch (it was about 5.5% but even so).
    OH that's a bummer, I have long weekend booked over IOW later in the year, maybe I can get some Duty Frees in before the ferry sails

There was a mutiny at one of my local pubs when the landlord upped the price of the drinks after a refurb. We could have, and still could , drink cheaper elsewhere. After we loudly complained the new price dropped by 15 pence during our happy hour and 10p at other times.. There was a real case for voting with our feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I have long weekend booked over IOW later in the year,
    I did about 20 pubs around the island. I have just finished posting the photos (over 100) so hopefully I can get the reviews written up before you go. I have to say the Isle Of Wight beers (Goddards, Island and Yates) were pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I did about 20 pubs around the island. I have just finished posting the photos (over 100) so hopefully I can get the reviews written up before you go. I have to say the Isle Of Wight beers (Goddards, Island and Yates) were pretty impressive.
    Yep I used to get Goddards in the Invincible just off the Hard in Portsmouth, but since it changed hands no idea if it still sells it

Gahhh, yesterday I paid £3.90 for Hopping Hare near Newbury, but it was gastro pub, and a very nice place, so I guess all things being equal it was worth it to keep it open for my quarterly visits
    Last edited by Farway; 01-04-2011 at 16:40.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

After the last round of price rises i am now paying around £2.20 for house beer(Salopian Gold/Hobsons Best) , the guests depend on strenth £2.30 for 4.1% up to £2.90 for the 5/6% , only the real loopy stuff is over £3 .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !