Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Real ale prices????

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Prices here vary wildly here in Berkshire, but in a decent non-chain pub it's about £3-£3.30.
    A new Reading high recorded last week - £3.50 for Brakspear Oxford Gold at the Duke of Wellington, Twyford.

I am fully expecting to record a £4 pint of ale somewhere come this time next year.
    Last edited by Quinno; 20-12-2010 at 08:30.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Back in 1978....(I was 16...) Boddington's Bitter was 22.5p in the vault (public) and 23p in the lounge bar. Woe betide anyone caught by the landlord, known as the Toucan due to an abnormally large proboscis, sneaking through with the cheaper pint into the lounge.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55147/

That's the old place, my first drinking den but it looks like it's gone a bit upmarket since.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    A new Reading high recorded last week - £3.50 for Brakspear Oxford Gold at the Duke of Wellington, Twyford.

I am fully expecting too record a £4 pint of ale somewhere come this time next year.
    Its £3.60 too £3.80 already in most Muswell Hill Boozers so with Vat Tax & Price rises Due in January I can see the £4.00 mark being past in early January. The problem is theres no competition around here theres No Wetherspoons or cheap Pubs around here.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Due to a lack of buses because of the snow , i braved the nearest pub to home , the Duke of York , no real ale on only keg but £1 70 for a pint of Bankss Mild was good for the wallet
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    Its £3.60 too £3.80 already in most Muswell Hill Boozers so with Vat Tax & Price rises Due in January I can see the £4.00 mark being past in early January. The problem is theres no competition around here theres No Wetherspoons or cheap Pubs around here.
    AO - may I point you to Tim's suggestions form, where you can suggest where they build a Wetherspoons if you know of a suitable vacant premises: http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/discover-jdw/our-pubs/a-wetherspoon-near-you

Got to hand it to the guy, he knows how to get people to help JDW with their work

Prices round here, for the proper stuff, are between £2.85 an £3.40, maybe 10p more in the remoter places. JDW, as ever the exception, are giving it away at £1.75 to £2.15.
    I'm just off to find me car, I can see the igloo it's living under from the window. Me target is the filling station, JDW, and the pet shop for bird food. The little buggers are eatin me out of house and home. At least the dogs pay for 'emselves..........

Talk to you later, me hopes..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi marquis,

Welcome to Pubs Galore. Myself and Dave M are the admins of this and the main site, if you have any problems, questions or suggestions please feel free to ask us.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

I'll stay on me own

From memory it was 25p in 1980 (Home Ales, a local brew)

In my local the Home Ales bitter was 22p in 1980 and Kimberley was 18p a pint at the same time,by the time it got to August 1982 Home Ales bitter was 47p a pint in some pubs, Shipstones bitter was around the 50p mark and kimberley bitter was selling for an average of 46p.
    I also marked down in my book on 6 August 1982 a pint of Whitbread Trophy cost 54p in a Bulwell pub this was an expensive drink at the time in a Nottingham suburb.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Shock horror, just returned from Boxing Day lunchtime few pints in my local, the Havant Started has gone from £2.80 to £3.00

Now whilst £3.00 is around the average price in this area a 20p hike seems excessive to me, but to be fair the £2.80 was cheapest real ale in the area, so something had to give, and on a personal note the extra 20p is worth it if the pub remains viable & open

Glass Half Empty

Getting back to prices, I bought a pint of Royal London, which is Greene King, in a Greene king pub in London and the price was £3.50. it is only 4.0 strength. This is before any VAT increase, if it goes up after the VAT increase, I would have to either:
    1: Ask for the price before I buy.
    2: Pick the lowest strength ale on sale.
    3: Look for another pub.
    4: Stop drinking

It is going to be a tough decision.

Thanks Arthurish