Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Real ale prices????

...and I suspect after Jan 1st (VAT hike), prices will go up by 20p across the board. Tim Martin might need to build some more pubs to take the extra custom this will generate.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I have switched to Veno's Cough Mixture, it's cheaper

Conrad - any chance of a Chemist Galore?
    MILD:

Gaviscon is my tipple in my local Lloyds (that's chemist not No 1), bloody expensive but it's great stuff.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Try "Caaaavonaaaahhh", the housewives choice, for giving you a bit of a buzz.

This Space For Hire

Drowsy Benylin. Which is hard to come by, they tend to keep it under the counter at Boot's these days and you usually have to be interviewed by some halfwit (is it for you? blah blah) before they'll part with it. But a swig of that chased by a large whisky will put you to sleep no problem.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I tried the somewhat lighter and hoppy version - Veno's Tickley Cough Mixture, yesterday - but returned to the more darker MILD Chesty Cough version after a couple of spoonfuls.
    MILD:

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Oooher, just bought some Meths from Wilkinsons, £3.68 for 500ml, think I will stick with HSB at £3 pint

PS, meths for cleaning bath rim prior to silicone sealant application, honest

I might try the silicone sealant in an attempt to cut down on the frequent trips I have to make to the Gents in this cold spell.

Teetotal

Thumbs up

Prices seem to be edging up a little here though most landlords are reluctant to go to the £3 mark.Fuller's ESB at present £2.95 in my local.
    I must be gatting old, it was 1s6d a pint (1s2d at University) when I began my slide down the slippery slope! That's 8p and 6p in today's money.When decimalisation began it was 12 1/2p a pint; my wife drank halves and the landlord always managed to remember to charge 6 1/2 p for the first and 6 p for the next thus charging the correct amount overall.
    I remenber people refusing to pay 50p, then £1 because they were psychological barriers.
    From memory it was 25p in 1980 (Home Ales, a local brew) and I first paid £1 in around 1987 , it was Ruddles County in an expensive Norfolk pub. Good news-went back to my local and had excellent Fuller's ESB at £2.85 a pint which is 10 p less than last time they had it in
    Last edited by marquis; 31-12-2010 at 18:24. Reason: More detail

This Space For Hire

Leeds is generally between £2 and £3, with the average around £2.70. We have a couple of Sam Smiths so you can get away with £1.50 for something bland... Some places will go above £3 for 5%+ brews. And then of course there is North Bar where I've once paid £5 for a half a 10% American IPA import.

When I first started drinking in 1999 a pint of Kronenbourg in my local was just under £2 and John Smith's was £1.70 ish.