Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Real ale prices????

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

The thing is that the local pubco pub here has Fuller's London Pride on all the time for under £3, so why are their tied pubs significantly more expensive?

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Holden's MILD - at White House, Hockley £1.80.... at the Lamp, Bloxwich, £2.05.... as a guest at Chambers, Stafford, £2.80

There is a point to this post, somewhere.
    MILD:

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Is this a Fuller's thing I wonder?
    I wonder too. My local - Barracuda - pubco pub has Pride streets ahead of the pack at £3.20. Youngs ordinary is £2.40 and along with a couple of the usual suspects at less than three quid there are two entirely presentable Westerham beers on at £2.80; there's no contest really.

But why? I can think off the top of my head of four reasons:

1: The product is so popular they can charge what they like.
    2: They are using prices to ration demand due to production problems or sheer lack of capacity.
    3: They are using premium pricing as a marketing strategy.
    4: The company is on the rocks and this is a last gasp attempt to increase cash flow.

Any more?
    Last edited by NickDavies; 28-02-2011 at 19:22.

The strange thing is even when the local Wetherspoons Had London Pride and ESB on a few weeks ago it was £2.90 & £3.20 where all other guest beers were only £2.15 under 5% ABV & £2.30 over 5% ABV.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Fuller's don't do discounts. Having had a look at getting London Pride in (one of my dad's favourites) I'd be looking to charge around £3.50. Butty Bach or Pedigree is £3.10
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    Fuller's don't do discounts. Having had a look at getting London Pride in (one of my dad's favourites) I'd be looking to charge around £3.50. Butty Bach or Pedigree is £3.10
    I guess that goes with my theory #1 - they don't need to do cheap. Make you wonder though, in 'community locals' in the south east Pride is often the token real ale amongst a forest of keg fonts, often in poor shape and often priced at a level to match top end lagers like 1664 or wifebeater. Yet lots of people must still buy it.

I do remember chatting to a landlord based near Yeovil and he told me that Fullers charged an extra £20-30 a firkin more than local micros and other regional breweries. This would tie in with a 40 - 50 p a pint surcharge. No wonder you don't get much of it around here.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Yet lots of people must still buy it.
    Yes they must, and I'm one of them. But not usually by choice. I can't tell you how many times I've gone into a pub and Pride has been the only ale on, or perhaps only a choice of GKIPA or Pride. In my local the choice has been Pride or OSH for some while, and I do prefer Pride to anything produced by GK. But my local only charges £2.86 for the Pride, which is a good price by London standards. But I still don't understand why some pubs stock Pride when they have to pay premium rates, when it seems that there better value options available.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    But I still don't understand why some pubs stock Pride when they have to pay premium rates, when it seems that there better value options available.
    If it is a brand in the area then people will buy it where they might not buy another. Also presumably their payment per pint will be higher as they will act on a margin, so why not stick with it.

If they are selling the full barrel I think the better question is why they don't run another pump with a better value local option .

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    If it is a brand in the area then people will buy it where they might not buy another. Also presumably their payment per pint will be higher as they will act on a margin, so why not stick with it.

If they are selling the full barrel I think the better question is why they don't run another pump with a better value local option .
    That's the obvious choice. I'd love to have one firk as a guest ale, but it's never going to happen unless one of the local independent wholesalers does what he does quite often. If a beer comes up on 'buy 9 firks get 1 free' he'll do the offer and average the price out across the 10 firks. This has often helped me get a beer that would otherwise be too expensive. There's a lot to be said for buying clubs
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*