Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Real ale prices????

Hybrid View

Glass Half Empty

Post Real ale prices????

Just a question, has there been an increase in real ale prices?
    I'm asking because I visited the real ale & camra favourite pub Bree Louise.
    I had a pint, can't remember the name apart from Suffolk, it was 4.0 but it cost £3.50 and a lot of their ales seemed to be the same price.
    Has the VAT gone up already??
    If it is going to cost that much, I will stay drinking Guinness for £3.30, which is 4.0.

Thanks

Arthurish

Prices here seem to have been stable since the summer, my nearest good pub charged £2.60, £2.70 or £2.80 depending on strength back in August and still does. Some places in Harrogate and York are over £3 but that's the same as the summer as well.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

No changes around here, still between £2.80 - £3.10 depending where I drink, not ABV dependent, but then I normally stick to HSB anyway

Default Bree Louise

Quote Originally Posted by Arthurish View Post
    Just a question, has there been an increase in real ale prices?
    I'm asking because I visited the real ale & camra favourite pub Bree Louise.
    I had a pint, can't remember the name apart from Suffolk, it was 4.0 but it cost £3.50 and a lot of their ales seemed to be the same price.
    Has the VAT gone up already??
    If it is going to cost that much, I will stay drinking Guinness for £3.30, which is 4.0.

Thanks

Arthurish

At the Bree Louise there is a 50p per pint discount if you show a CAMRA membership card, which makes the beers look a lot cheaper.
    Come On You Hatters!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

No change round here £2ish for the permanant ales , and £2.30/£2.80 for the guests depending on strength
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

What I’ve found at the Bree Louise is that the real ale prices are loaded so that once the 50p CAMRA discount is taken off you are back with paying around £2.80 - £3.30, depending on strength, which is about par for the course around there. Although I am a CAMRA member and usually remember my card this practice does annoy me a bit. It means there is no real ‘discount’ and also penalises those who are not CAMRA members. It’s a bit like those horrible It’s A Scream pubs where you pay through the nose unless you have a student card to claim a discount.

By the way, if you want to see some real scary prices try the nearby Euston Tap that opened about a month ago.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Yes, I've found the standard £3.30 at Bree Louise a bit steep, especially as I find the quality far from perfect and the venue drab.
    I read about your expensive selection at the Tap, Millay, but there still seems to be a £2.80 option available.
    Otherwise Arthurish, no, although my wanderings have been limited, I've not noticed any obvious increases.

Strangely enough I was thinking about the costs of a pint the other day and came to the conclusion that it is probably cheaper in real terms to drink in a pub now than 20 years ago. I remember everyone having heart attacks when the price of a pint started to hit the £2 mark, I think it would have been around the early 90's. Given that 20 years later we are now looking at £3/£3.50 in London for a pint, I don't think beer has increased as much as other life essentials like train fares, Mars Bars and football tickets. I don't have any figures to compare but it was just a thought. Also, I strongly believe that if it were not for our old pal Tim at Wetherspoons coming along and throwing cheaper prices into the market place, we would probably by now be looking at pints hitting £5 rather than middling between £3 and £4. As the man says, we've never had it so good.