Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plymouth Gin, should it be removed?

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default Plymouth Gin, should it be removed?

Back to the "what is pub" saga, what are the opinions on the Plymouth Gin distillery (link removed along with the pub) being on this site?

IMO it is just not a pub, it is a distillery, sells gin on guided tours but certainly does not meet the "walk in off the street" criteria, and AFAIK no beer at all
    Last edited by Conrad; 11-05-2011 at 17:32. Reason: To remove the dead link

I'll stay on me own

I think it should be removed from the site as it is not a pub, just the same as clubs should be but thats an old argument.

Glass Half Empty

I had a horrible feeling my comments on this one might re-ignite the 'what's allowed to be on the site' debate. I'd also be interested in others' views, and will try to find out tomorrow whether it's actually possible to get a beer either in the cocktail bar or brasserie bits!
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I think the forum is a better place for your comment Farway, it is no different from any complaint review, eg not a review.

As to the venue, it is the sort of thing that I think is fair game as long as it is clearly marked, we have a museum pub on somewhere don't we?

At this point though, if no one has left a decent review on it I am happy to delete, so will await Old Blue's reccy.

As an aside to those who have been chatting on the Pubs without published photos thread, this is a classic example, it was added with a photograph, so not a guarantee of calibre.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
    I had a horrible feeling my comments on this one might re-ignite the 'what's allowed to be on the site' debate. I'd also be interested in others' views, and will try to find out tomorrow whether it's actually possible to get a beer either in the cocktail bar or brasserie bits!
    It was not just your comments OB, I went past on Saturday and had serious misgivings about this listing, and I also have same about the White Rabbit cafe bar ,very much closed & barred on Saturday PM, and only seems to be a bus station cafe, with no seating, but as I was only a grockle then local knowledge should prevail in this instance

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    It was not just your comments OB, I went past on Saturday and had serious misgivings about this listing, and I also have same about the White Rabbit cafe bar ,very much closed & barred on Saturday PM, and only seems to be a bus station cafe, with no seating, but as I was only a grockle then local knowledge should prevail in this instance
    I think you may have got the White Rabbit's number slightly wrong: link, which isn't to say it should be on the site

Glass Half Empty

I have a lot of misgivings about inconsistency on cafe/bars and bar/restaurants generally. There seem to be loads on the site. Is there a previous thread that got anywhere on that?

I'm alternately toying with (a) proposing an entry for Duttons Cafe Bar in Plymouth, on the grounds that you can get a draught beer there, albeit out of a keg, and it is slightly more of a pub than this one http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66801/, or b) deleting the latter on the grounds its obviously a cafe bar not a pub.

And slightly uncomfortable about this http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53279/ being marked as closed whilst lots of similar restaurant/bars retain their listing.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Former Pubs Galore Coder

It is ground that is frequently stepped over, most recently with the Egham United Services Club.

It is impossible to be consistent, and I think that has to be accepted. Basically if a listing has content then it is far less likely to be deleted, if it is a picture or review then we can be convinced to delete it with a justification. Where there is a review from one of our regular reviewers however I am far more likely to say sod it it can stay on.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that the site is only as good as its contributors, so for me it is far more about them rather than have a directory listing of buildings that no one has any inkling of what sort of place any of them are.

I suppose an answer to this perenial question is to add categories, so that establishments, hopefully only those actually selling alcohol to the public, have some sort of indication of what they are in the "pub" details not just in any review (most non-pubs don't have reviews)

The categories could include; Pub, Club (pay on entry/members only/tennis/rowing/golf/tiddly-winks etc), Hotel bar, Cafe-Bar, Restaurant/Bistro/Brasserie, Museum, Cafe (bus station / rail station / transport caf' /greasy spoon) and so on. It should be searchable of course, so those of us just looking for pubs to drink in can find them and those who just like photographing drinks outlets can be accommodated as well.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I suppose an answer to this perenial question is to add categories, so that establishments, hopefully only those actually selling alcohol to the public, have some sort of indication of what they are in the "pub" details not just in any review (most non-pubs don't have reviews)

The categories could include; Pub, Club (pay on entry/members only/tennis/rowing/golf/tiddly-winks etc), Hotel bar, Cafe-Bar, Restaurant/Bistro/Brasserie, Museum, Cafe (bus station / rail station / transport caf' /greasy spoon) and so on. It should be searchable of course, so those of us just looking for pubs to drink in can find them and those who just like photographing drinks outlets can be accommodated as well.
    Unless I'm missing the irony in your post oldboots my response is no no no. How much more administratively burdomsome do we want to make this site for Conrad and Dave.

From a general perspective, if a venue is included on the site and, irrespective of reviews/photos or the lack of them, we want to visit it then we should do so. If it no longer exists then we should mark it as closed, if it does exist then we should leave a review so that others may be enlightened by our personal opinion.

If we choose not to visit it then fine, but someone else must have decided it is worthy of inclusion so who are we to decree otherwise. The concept of trawling through the site looking for places that we think shouldn't be on there based on driving past it, what someone else says, looking on Google or simply ones own personal interpretation of the word 'pub' baffles me.

Threads like these seem to be becoming more prevalent on the forums and in my opinion the site is poorer for it.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.