Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird and Very Old.

Default Weird and Very Old.

Not me , this implement shown in the pictures. This was found in the Ponsonby Arms, Llangollen many years ago and no one has a clue what it is...Any ideas ?
    Photos are the property of db84124 who put them out on the Birmingham Forum so the object may be identified.
    Last edited by arwkrite; 16-10-2009 at 10:53.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Weird indeed, looks about the size of a jaw, how odd. Best guess is that it is some sort of fish gutter, but I am guessing I'm not the first to say that.

I am waiting for someone to say a piecrust crimper. The closest I have found is a Nettle Hook but not quite the same.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

i will try a few avenues that i know, see what comes up, but may take a while
    MILD:

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Many years ago i lived next door to a cobbler (his shop is now at Blists Hill Muesum) and this reminds me of some of his tools for shaping leather .
    Being found in a pub though , it could have something to do with cooperage .

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

After a bit of poking around , i think it may be a Farriers Drawing Knife .

Thank you for your headscratching.The favourite idea at the moment is a butter curler. If you think back butter was tranported in barrels so the idea could be a starter. The butter would need to be scrapedout.

I will pass on the Farriers Drawing Tool.

It reminds me of those nasty looking implements official tortuers used when pulling bits out of unfortunate souls whilst they were still alive. I doubt it is anything that interesting even though it was found in Wales.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    It reminds me of those nasty looking implements official tortuers used when pulling bits out of unfortunate souls whilst they were still alive. I doubt it is anything that interesting even though it was found in Wales.
    An Englishman could have left it behind

My stab at it has already been said - butter curler. And the Welsh are boring? I think I better send Cardiff Uni's Netball team up

Mid Wales used to be one of my favourite and most visited areas but sadly with my mrs problem there are not enough stopping places if you get my meaning. Now its just the occasional run to a caravan park, drop off or pick up an aged relative or friend then straight back.I rarely get the chance to revisit some very nice pubs that I know exist both inland and along the coast.
    North Wales was popular with me back in the '70s and '80s but it seemed to go down market and we found the hotels poor value for money. Llandudno is the only Whetherspoons were I have been refused a change of a bad drink.The Scotch was undrinkable.

Cardiff is our port of call now. Its nice and flat, wide pavements mostly in good order and a really good selection of pubs. Can be scary at night just like any big town.Interesting places nearby.

Wales boring? Never.