Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Bar Humbug.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Default Bar Humbug.

As the fetive period draws close ,there will be many examples of inappropriate marketing and this gem really got my goat.For the benefit of non CAMRA members ,this article appeared in this months What's Brewing under the title "Jingle Wells"

"The Bombardier pump clip is getting a Christmas makeover.For the festive period the beer,which is unaltered,will be renamed Bombareindeer and feature a horn-sporting clip complete with flashing nose.Well's Chris Lewis said "Rather than create a brand new beer for Christmas ,it makes sense to inject some festive jollity into Bombardier " "

Anyone else come across anything as crass,or am I just a miserable fastard?
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 03-12-2010 at 08:41.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

There's the Hardys & Hansons Rocking Rudolph which usually has a flashing red nosed reindeer on the clip. JDW's festive beers include Banks & Taylor Turkey's Trauma (didn't think much of that yesterday) a Hydes Yule be Back and a Salopian Christmas Rapping with a picture of Santa on the decks on the clip (liked that one much better). Oakham have a Raucous Reindeer so I'll be looking out for that one, I quite like their beers.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

The old yuletide regular Bateman's Rosey Nosey also has a flashing bulb for a nose that usually conks out (no pun intended) after half a dozen flashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    am I just a miserable fastard?
    Aren't we all?

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Oakham have a Raucous Reindeer so I'll be looking out for that one, I quite like their beers.
    I too like Oakham beers so that should be well worth seeking out.I dont like the Bombardier promo as this is just a rebadging of (IMHO ) an indifferent beer and as you mentioned other brewers have already done the flashing nose,Bateman's Rosey Nosey is another example.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bombareindeer-2-274x300.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	445
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    The old yuletide regular Bateman's Rosey Nosey also has a flashing bulb for a nose that usually conks out (no pun intended) after half a dozen flashes.
    That was the one I was thinking of Roger not the Rocking Rudolph - although I guess that might have a flashing nose as well.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

It is ok for a brewer to do a seasonal brew for Xmas, and have whatever flashing is needed to promote it.

Don't like Wells rebadging Bombardier in this way myself. Bah Humbug from me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    That was the one I was thinking of Roger not the Rocking Rudolph - although I guess that might have a flashing nose as well.
    Found the Rocking Rudolph again yesterday and it has lights on the antlers as opposed to the nose.

Stonehenge Ales also does a Rudolph (1048, 5%ABV) at Christmas. Haven't seen any yet this year but it was good stuff last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rudolph.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	452