The sub-districts have come into existence as part of a long battle between site members and myself (one which I am losing). Initially the site was set up with just the postal towns and the former postal counties that roughly date to 1974.

This led to constant mithering from our more geographically aware members and a constant reply off me of like it or lump it. As time has gone forward though we have gradually adjusted it based on constant feedback.

The initial change was created when we had some nice flash maps made to allow members to visually shift what county they wanted, at which point we moved slightly away from the postal counties.

Next we created the initial release of sub-districts, which basically were just shown below the towns to try and concentrate the listings better geographically. At this point we were very Spartan about our interpretation of Sub-district so that they had to be above a certain size, lots of complaints that we should create more sub-districts.

Next the sub-districts were given their own pages as well as appearing on town pages. This led to complaints that the sub-districts were in the wrong counties, as they were stuck in their parent towns counties.

Next we moved completely away from the old postal counties to the counties you see on the site today, and at the same time dumped the old flash map and went over to using Google Maps to show the county divisions, it is a lot slower, but it means we have more control over any boundary changes we want to make.

And the latest iteration is that the sub-districts are now their own towns, and so can be seperated from their parent towns into new counties, in fact it is now possible for pubs to have their own counties.

Anyway, you may gather from the bitter tone of that that I am not a fan, for me the maps or search are good enough, the site should be about pubs not getting the most up to date electoral borders. Still if it makes the site more enjoyable to use I guess I should suck it in and get on with it.

Long and short of it is though, we don't know a great deal of the country and as such are reliant on you to let us know about the sub-districts, they are part of a long evolution of the site and a very recent development. So do feel free to correct them, when you give us the corrections, basically we check if the placename appears on Google Maps when slightly zoomed out, and that it appears to not be contained by the Postal Town it is attached to.