Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PG Historical: Sub Districts

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default PG Historical: Sub Districts

The sub-districts have come into existence as part of a long battle between site members and myself (one which I am losing). Initially the site was set up with just the postal towns and the former postal counties that roughly date to 1974.

This led to constant mithering from our more geographically aware members and a constant reply off me of like it or lump it. As time has gone forward though we have gradually adjusted it based on constant feedback.

The initial change was created when we had some nice flash maps made to allow members to visually shift what county they wanted, at which point we moved slightly away from the postal counties.

Next we created the initial release of sub-districts, which basically were just shown below the towns to try and concentrate the listings better geographically. At this point we were very Spartan about our interpretation of Sub-district so that they had to be above a certain size, lots of complaints that we should create more sub-districts.

Next the sub-districts were given their own pages as well as appearing on town pages. This led to complaints that the sub-districts were in the wrong counties, as they were stuck in their parent towns counties.

Next we moved completely away from the old postal counties to the counties you see on the site today, and at the same time dumped the old flash map and went over to using Google Maps to show the county divisions, it is a lot slower, but it means we have more control over any boundary changes we want to make.

And the latest iteration is that the sub-districts are now their own towns, and so can be seperated from their parent towns into new counties, in fact it is now possible for pubs to have their own counties.

Anyway, you may gather from the bitter tone of that that I am not a fan, for me the maps or search are good enough, the site should be about pubs not getting the most up to date electoral borders. Still if it makes the site more enjoyable to use I guess I should suck it in and get on with it.

Long and short of it is though, we don't know a great deal of the country and as such are reliant on you to let us know about the sub-districts, they are part of a long evolution of the site and a very recent development. So do feel free to correct them, when you give us the corrections, basically we check if the placename appears on Google Maps when slightly zoomed out, and that it appears to not be contained by the Postal Town it is attached to.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

You are not really going to win with this - Gt Wyrley does not come under Walsall, but I can live with it - the quality of the maps you have can cut through the worry of is it in Birchills or Leamore. Its just good fun to annoy you with it from time to time
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I hate you all, damn users, this site would work fine if you weren't all just finding fault with it.

I should have said, we have stuck with the Postal Towns through this all, and as such all the sub-districts are still attached to the Postal Towns. I don't see us giving up on this as I figure people must use it when setting up their address if they are in the area.

If someone is looking for an area they don't know the postal town for there is the site search.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I have never really understood the "village" tag, OK I can understand when it is a village in the middle of the country, but for instance Portsmouth does not have real villages, it does have, in common with loads of other cities, area, like London would have Westminster, Kensington etc

How is that arranged, or are "villages" the general tag for city areas as well/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I honestly have no idea what a real village is , which is why we try and use sub-districts as the description on the site these days. The terms are synonymous where used on the site though, and the choice of word is probably a hint of how old the page design is. So a village/sub-district is a distinct area that is not within a postal town.

We are begining to get a really excellent coverage of the country in terms of members of the site now, so I am hoping that you will all move it towards what you think is best within the constraints of Postal Towns.

Wink Simples

At the risk of sounding obvious, a village is a settlement between a hamlet and a town. Now a hamlet is a small collection of houses, or other buildings. Back in the day, to qualify as a town a settlement used to have to have all 5 of the following: a church, a pub, a post office, a Woolworths, and 1 other which temporarily eludes me. This used to work fine, until the demise of said Woolworths. I can sympathise with Conrad, for I have difficulty sometimes determining which county a place is in.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

NGB, you may think that is obvious, but honestly that is the best description of a hamlet/village/town I have actually seen given.

Visit my neck of the woods and you will find easily defined hamlets, villages,towns and cities. A Post Office/ shop and a Pub was a good sign that the place was a village, it may have had a garage to. However lots villages no longer have these aminities.They have lost them in my lifetime.My first wife and I ran a sub P.O/ shop/ petrol station and garage repair shop back in the'70s until it was no longer profitable. That village now has nothing but many more houses. My town of Bromyard is likely to be a lot smaller than named suburbs of larger towns or cities.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

As im sure Arkrite and Eddie86 will confirm the Shropshire , Herefordshire , Worstershire , Wales borders are a nightmare to work out .
    Newtowns dont help either Telford just used to be the south of the town , before expanding and taking over Wellington and Oakengates , now it appears to taking over half of Shropshire , it will soon border Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton .

There were odd bits of detached Herefordshire within the south Shropshire boundary. Tenbury also changed its county alleigance recently.
    It was common when I was in the police force to cross other force/ county boundaries and in the process foul up a small local operation out of ignorance. The position of postal sorting offices cause problems with eronious postcodes which I think was the start of Hay on Wye's problem. Places often have the same names e.g Newton,Stoke, just little places but easy to confuse withplaces at the other end of the county.
    The Welsh /English border is a World and a Law unto itself. It takes a lot of getting used to and it is the newcomer who must adapt.