Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 28 November 2010)

The most interesting beer I tried this week was the Dark Star & Thornbridge collaboration ThornStar - an intensely hoppy, Black IPA which uses 6 different types of New Zealand hops but retains some roasted malt background. Unlike any other beer I've tried before, but although I enjoyed it, I don't think I would be able to drink too much in one go, so it doesn't get my BOTW nomination.

There are plenty of other contenders though - Acorn Blonde, Salopian Darwin's Origin, Kissingate Black Cherry Mild and Ascot Vanilla Stout, but BOTW goes to Vale Brewery Black Beauty - a lovely, rich porter and the highlight of the 'Dark Ales Festival' at the Hope, Carshalton.

An extremely good pint from Nethergate called Augustinian deserves a mention for being very quaffable. But to my surprise it's been beaten this week by Elland Brewery's Diablo, a chocolate porter delivering all the comfort needed during this cold spell but with a dry and bitter finish which absolutely demands a second (and third and fourth and ....... hicc!).

A good start to the week with the Falcon session on Monday. Not much around locally through the week and a not very rewarding trip around Woking on Saturday - tried 8 pubs, walked about 6 miles to get them all in and they were all distinctly average with not much in the way of decent beers either. BotW was probably the Brakspear Oxford Gold from the Falcon.

Been on quite a lot of dark beers this week.

Ossett Treacle Stout came close but this weeks winner is Dark Domination from Hornbeam brewery, 6% and very moreish. Dangerous stuff.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Best & Only beers of the week was Wychwood Hobgoblin in Bottles my local has started selling it at only £3,10 for a 500ml Bottle. Thats cheap for in a Pub.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    The most interesting beer I tried this week was the Dark Star & Thornbridge collaboration ThornStar - an intensely hoppy, Black IPA which uses 6 different types of New Zealand hops but retains some roasted malt background. Unlike any other beer I've tried before..
    Sounds fascinating. I'd definitely be up for a pint of that. The only beer I've tried that is similar is Saltaire's 'Cascadian Black' - a black IPA hopped with Cascade. To be honest it didn't quite work for me either, but I like the idea of these hoppy, dark beers. Be interesting to compare the two.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Sounds fascinating. I'd definitely be up for a pint of that. The only beer I've tried that is similar is Saltaire's 'Cascadian Black' - a black IPA hopped with Cascade. To be honest it didn't quite work for me either, but I like the idea of these hoppy, dark beers. Be interesting to compare the two.
    It certainly had the making of a great beer, but I wasn't tempted to try more than one pint. I think this was my first Black IPA - certainly the first with such an intense hit of hops - but I'd like to try some others like the Saltaire you mentioned. At the festival where I tried the ThornStar, there was another Black IPA available (Windsor and Eton Conqueror), which was apparently more balanced, but I didn't get round to trying it.

Unfortunately, I think the ThornStar brew was a one-off, so you may well have to find it now or never.

[QUOTE=Pubsignman;24481]The most interesting beer I tried this week was the Dark Star & Thornbridge collaboration ThornStar - an intensely hoppy, Black IPA which uses 6 different types of New Zealand hops but retains some roasted malt background.

I've been intrigued with the concept,though I'm yet to see or try a Black IPA. My BOTW is Sheps Late Red,drunk at dusk on a bracingly cold Saturday afternoon, in front of the obligatory blazing fire. A lovely mahoganny coloured dark ale, resinous and autumnal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    My BOTW is Sheps Late Red,drunk at dusk on a bracingly cold Saturday afternoon, in front of the obligatory blazing fire. A lovely mahoganny coloured dark ale, resinous and autumnal.
    In the absence of anything else oustanding, I'll go along with Late Red which has been going well as the guest beer in the local village club for the last few weeks at a bargain (for the area) £2.25.