Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 28 November 2010)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default Beer of the Week (w/e 28 November 2010)

Dear God, how did I miss this, long week last week, thanks for kicking it off a&h.

gillhalfpint: Hardknott Infra Red
    Spinko: Jaipur
    Millay: Salopian Choir Porter
    aleandhearty: Mallinson's Oliver Duckets
    Oggwyn Trench: Lymestone Stone the Crows
    Gann: Golden Pippin
    oldboots: Hadrian & Border Gladiator
    Bucking Fastard: Marble Pint
    Pubsignman: Vale Brewery Black Beauty
    Thuck Phat: Elland Brewery's Diablo
    RogerB: Brakspear Oxford Gold
    ROBCamra: Ossett Treacle Stout
    Alesonly: Wychwood Hobgoblin
    Wittenden: Sheps Late Red
    rpadam: Sheps Late Red
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Well now, after a brilliant supply of beers at the Dudley fest,( did I really have 9 beers over 6%, 5 of them over 7%?) Wibblers Wobbly Wabbit at 11% was a good choice but was just a little cloudy. Maybe the one with the roast parsnips in.... Yes that was the one. Hardknott Infra Red 6.2%. Deep ruby red. Earthy orange and caramel nose. Sweet toffee start, peppery roast parsnips and a long bitter finish.

Yes that was BOTW. I didn't find it too sweet and it was certainly an interesting flavour.

This Space For Hire

I'll be honest, I've not had that many decent pints this week. friday I had a Paulaner dark wheat beer up at the Leeds German Christmas market, the barmaid was utterly clueless so i had it served in two glasses because the first had frothed up so badly. Later we went to a new Leeds bar called the Bierkeller, a German styled bar, or alternatively, a gentleman's bar - because all the waitresses were very busty with everything hanging out. Nice if you like that kind of thing. Then popped along to he Adelphi and tried a Jaipur. This time it was actually a Jaipur (see previous story) although a bit cold. Saturday I tucked myself away to the Grove in Huddersfield and had a Jaipur (much better, but too cold) and then a Thornbridge Green Hopped Vintage 2010 which was utterly abysmal. Imagine shaking up a can of Tennents Super Extra. Too strong, too much pushing of boundaries, not enough taste. Popped back to Leeds and had a great Ilkley Best in Shooters while watching Man Utd vs Blackburn while trying to avoid the fat men chasing around the egg. I like my rugby league but why is it the rigby union players do not find it in themselves to get fit? Sorry, I've veered off topic..

Finally, I have to give it to the jaipur in the Adelphi
    Last edited by Spinko; 27-11-2010 at 19:08.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

This week it's going to be Ossett Brewery Silver King

Ignore this, see later post
    Last edited by Millay; 28-11-2010 at 19:31.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

My beer moment of the week also involved an Ossett beer - an excellent pint of their Treacle Stout next to a roaring log fire, on Friday night. Marvellous. However, two late challengers last night pipped it for BOTW. Five Towns 'Gale Force2' was delicious but I loved Mallinson's 'Oliver Duckets' and that's this weeks choice.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Intresting weekend beerwise , the Station was having a Pictish weekend , then off to Chester with the Mrs .
    Pictish - Citra
    Pictish - Pacific Jade
    Pictish - Marynka
    Pictish - Crystal
    Pictish - Z Rod
    Pictish - La Soothe Tint
    Hook Norton - Hooky Bitter
    Springhead - Liberty
    Conwy - Rampart
    Okells - Dr Okells IPA
    Sam Smiths - OBB
    Lymestone - Stone the Crows
    Conwy - Welsh Pride
    Jennings - Cock a Hoop
    Ringwood - Huffkin
    Spitting Feathers - Thirst Quencher
    Phoenix - Arizona
    Cottage - Atom Gold
    Okells - Bitter

Bit of a difficult choice this week but i think the Lymestone - Stone the Crows just shades it , and at 5.4% just right for a chilly(OK bloody freezing) evening
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Bit of a thin week in that after making the Falcon on monday night, the rest of the week was spent trying to get rid of the lurgy.
    That was until last night when after watching my particular favourite fat blokes from England and Saracens not chasing the Oval ball paricularily well, got fed up and went down the local.
    Salopian Darwin Origin was my favourite from the Falcon, but was pleased to find a brew from Copper Dragon on as one of the guests last night and the Golden Pippin was a very pleasant drinkable blonde ale and three of those dissapeared in quick succession, so I'll go with this as the BOTW.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Hadrian & Border Gladiator at a surprisingly light 3.8% given its name, 3 pints drunk while waiting for the snow to slacken is the one, in spite of some stiff competition in the same pub (Abbeydale, Salamander, Slaters). Honourable mention for Leeds "Gathering Storm" which just hits the spot this weather - drinking it in the superb Grove in Leeds helped of course.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    This week it's going to be Ossett Brewery Silver King
    I went a bit too early with this. Hadn't really intended to go drinking on Sunday but went to St Albans and called in to one of my regular haunts and they had a mini festival on - Any Porter in a Storm. Faced with five porter pumps as I entered so took that as a bit of a challenge. The Buntingford Porter at 5.9% was excellent with tasting notes that said "A strangely drinkable beer .... after the 3rd or 4th pint various limbs start failing or indeed go home on their own". But I am now declaring my BoTW as the Salopian Choir Porter, gorgeous stuff.

Exactly how this will fit with my intention of having an early night, getting up to watch the cricket and leaving early for work to beat Bob Crow's latest attempt to screw up London's workers I'm not too sure, but then again these things rarely go to plan. I also had the idea of leaving work early on Monday and having a couple at the Euston Tap, let's see how that one works out, I may even find next week's BoTW.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

This week has seen a move from famine to feast with many BOTW contenders.It all started well in The Falcon with BrewDog Punk IPA,then an outstanding seasonal brew from Dark Star namely Green Hopped IPA ,6.5% which slipped down a treat in The Green Dragon ,Croydon.
    A visit to the second beer festival organised by The Old Fountain,Old Street produced many great beers,special mention to Oakham's Fountain Citra,but my BOTW was also from the beer festival ,the sublime Marble Pint

After that run,it's back in my kennel for the week ahead
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 29-11-2010 at 10:26.