Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nostalgia Corner or what happened to British Brewing since 1972?

Spritzer Swallower

[QUOTE=NickDavies;24461]CAMRA's 1975 'Beer in London' - probably the first London real ale guide ever done, lists the following:

Bass Charrington
    Brakspear (in three pubs)
    Courage
    Fuller
    Greene King (in just two pubs)
    Ind Coope (but real ale in "only a few houses")
    Marston (one pub)
    McMullen
    Ruddle
    Sam Smith ("about half a dozen pubs")
    Shepherd Neame
    Theakston (two pubs)
    Whitbread
    Young

Memories...Mixed emotions thinking back to 60s & 70s drinking! As the self appointed World’s Biggest Brakspears Fan, I remember the three pubs well – Hole in the Wall (haven't seen Brakspears recently), Coronet Bar (long gone) and Tudor Close (now Sam Smith’s Rose of York). Additionally I seem to recall that The Anglesea Arms in South Ken served Brakspears. Happy Days.

Oooh..Seeing this thread pop up again today made me go back and check the original list again.

And this time round I noticed one of my historical favourites, Rayments, is not on the list..

For the uninitiated Rayments was a Hertfordshire brewery in the quaintly named village of Furneux Pelham.
    It was originally built in 1860 by William Rayment and was purchased by Greene King in 1928 when it had an estate of 35 public houses.
    The brewery was eventually closed by GK in 1987 at which time it was down to brewing only one beer, Rayments BBA.

Perhaps also it is lumped under GK on the list, which would be a shame, because the Rayments ales were a cut above what was coming out of Suffolk at the time, IMHO...
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Oooh..Seeing this thread pop up again today made me go back and check the original list again.

And this time round I noticed one of my historical favourites, Rayments, is not on the list..

Perhaps also it is lumped under GK on the list, which would be a shame, because the Rayments ales were a cut above what was coming out of Suffolk at the time, IMHO...
    Mr Bailie does lump Rayments in with the Greene King entry:
    "Rayment & Co Ltd, Furneux Pelham, Buntingford, Herts, Tel. Brent Pelham 254

Rayment & Co is a small country brewery which brews independently but also supplies many of the Greene King group beers."

He must have liked their beers too because there's quite long bit about them including where the pubs are and the names of some. He also lists the beers;

BBA
    AK Pale Ale
    XX Mild
    Keg Bitter
    Keg Mild (Dagger)

Bottles:
    Pelham
    Super Ale
    Brown Ale
    Dagger Brown.

He ends by saying "Because of the increasing popularity of Rayment's draught beers, production at Furneux Pelham is to be concentrated on these. All or most of the bottled beers would then be supplied by Greene King..." He also says top pressure is being introduced...

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Mr Bailie does lump Rayments in with the Greene King entry:
    "Rayment & Co Ltd, Furneux Pelham, Buntingford, Herts, Tel. Brent Pelham 254

Rayment & Co is a small country brewery which brews independently but also supplies many of the Greene King group beers."

He must have liked their beers too because there's quite long bit about them including where the pubs are and the names of some. He also lists the beers;

BBA
    AK Pale Ale
    XX Mild
    Keg Bitter
    Keg Mild (Dagger)

Bottles:
    Pelham
    Super Ale
    Brown Ale
    Dagger Brown.

He ends by saying "Because of the increasing popularity of Rayment's draught beers, production at Furneux Pelham is to be concentrated on these. All or most of the bottled beers would then be supplied by Greene King..." He also says top pressure is being introduced...
    I remember enjoying the AK- a ggod lightish bitter, a style that's gone out of favour, more's the pity. I'm not sure what AK stood for; perhaps it is an Hertfordshire thing, as McMullens, another unfashionable brewery did, perhaps still does, brew a quite tasty example.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I remember enjoying the AK- a ggod lightish bitter, a style that's gone out of favour, more's the pity. I'm not sure what AK stood for; perhaps it is an Hertfordshire thing, as McMullens, another unfashionable brewery did, perhaps still does, brew a quite tasty example.
    "What all these beers had in common was that they were light, in both colour and gravity, and also lightly hopped."
    http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2008/05/30/98/
    Last edited by hondo; 17-08-2011 at 06:49.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    to find that the only pub in the remote village you're staying in has been gastrified and that the one handpump in use has a London bleedin Pride clip on it does sap the will to live; back to the Guinness.
    Guinness in preference to Pride? Your example is, I hope, a heck of a lot better than my travels in Norfolk in the 70s. Lovely village pubs all serving Watney's Red!
    Nigel Rowe

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post

Yep, AK was my favourite also of the Pelham brews, a very easy drinking beer.. Many thanks to old Boots for the comprehensive reply and bringing back...happy days !
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
    Guinness in preference to Pride? Your example is, I hope, a heck of a lot better than my travels in Norfolk in the 70s. Lovely village pubs all serving Watney's Red!
    A bit embarrassed, to say the least, that in another thread, I expressed a liking for Watney's Red!
    Nigel Rowe

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "What all these beers had in common was that they were light, in both colour and gravity, and also lightly hopped."
    http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2008/05/30/98/
    The wonderful Ron Pattinson has an interesting post on AK today:http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2...s-1914-ak.html
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.