Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Hanley sub district of Stoke on Trent.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Default Hanley sub district of Stoke on Trent.

Conrad,
    Some good work has already been undertaken on a tidy up of Stoke on Trent with Al1000's work on Tunstall and Roger B's contribution on Burslem.Hanley is now the only member of the Six Towns that make up SoT without its own sub district.
    Although I dont live in the area,I have visited Hanley a few times and would be happy to help out ,although I would'nt want to steal anyone's thunder if they felt better qualified for the task.
    There seem to be at least 30 pubs in Hanley but I noticed that The Black Lion has a postal address under Hanley,there may be others.Would the architecture of the pubs database allow all those pubs with a Hanley postal address to be dropped into a new Hanley sub district?
    If that was the case then I would be happy to provide a list of other pubs that should also appear in the Hanley subdistrict.

BF

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi BF,

I can do what you are saying with Hanley, the trouble I have is when I look at the map, I can't see a Hanley heading and it is hard to imagine a pub getting much closer to being under the Stoke on Trent heading. Wouldn't someone looking at the Stoke on Trent list of pubs expect to see The Black Lion?

Sorry I don't know the area and wonder if that will make it clearer?

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Conrad,

The City of Stoke on Trent is always going to be a problem because it is an amalgum of six towns namely Longton,Fenton,Burslem,Tunstall,Hanley and (confusingly) the town of Stoke.You make a very good point about the geographic closeness of the towns of Hanley and Stoke.There has also been an attempt by the local authority to re brand Hanley as the "City centre" and this is how a lot of local road signs are now marked.This may also be the reason that Hanley is beginning to disappear as a place name on various maps.Although the Good Beer Guide still lists Hanley as a seperate district of Stoke on Trent ,perhaps it is better to leave sleeping dogs to lie.Over time the status of a seperate Hanley may well fade away.
    A better approach may be to tidy up pubs listed under Stoke on Trent but which are located in a sub district already identified in the PUG database.I will posts some suggestions later today.

Regards

BF

Former Pubs Galore Coder

There is an upcoming change which will resolve the Hanley question, I am just not quite sure when it will arrive at this point as it is fairly extensive. I want to say before the end of the year, but it feels like we are already in silly season where all predictions go out the window.