Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Micro-breweries and 'ticking' culture: Counter-productive regarding real choice?

I feel I ought to participate in this thread because it's about an issue so close to my heart, but most points have pretty much been made, and we all largely seem to be agreeing.

I don't think it matters that there are lots of micro-breweries producing much the same sort of product. It's inevitable that many ales will be very similar to each other, perhaps with only very subtle differences. But if the product's good then that's the most important thing, and if it's not (i.e. producing bland ale), as others have said, they will soon get found out.

And again, as others have said, it's up to the landlord, or his/her hierarchy, to give the customers the choice they want. But it's horses for courses. There are many pubs I know where with the best will in the world all their customer base will allow them to sell is just enough ale for them to have one on handpump. In that case, in this part of the world anyway, they generally go for London Pride, because it's seen as a tried and trusted ale, and you really can't blame them for that. But where a pub has the custom to sustain half a dozen ales then they really should give customers decent choice. I've been in my local 'Spoons where they've had five or six ales on and all have been stouts and porters. Nothing wrong with stouts and porters, it's just that I don't care for them and that's my choice. Another pub I went in had six light hoppy summer ales on. All I'm saying is that where an establishment has the ability and wherewithall to offer a choice, they really should make the effort to do so.
    Last edited by Rex_Rattus; 24-11-2010 at 21:53. Reason: omitted an apostrophe!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I feel I ought to participate in this thread because it's about an issue so close to my heart, but most points have pretty much been made, and we all largely seem to be agreeing.

I don't think it matters that there are lots of micro-breweries producing much the same sort of product. It's inevitable that many ales will be very similar to each other, perhaps with only very subtle differences. But if the product's good then that's the most important thing, and if it's not (i.e. producing bland ale), as others have said, they will soon get found out.

And again, as others have said, it's up to the landlord, or his/her hierarchy, to give the customers the choice they want. But it's horses for courses. There are many pubs I know where with the best will in the world all their customer base will allow them to sell is just enough ale for them to have one on handpump. In that case, in this part of the world anyway, they generally go for London Pride, because it's seen as a tried and trusted ale, and you really can't blame them for that. But where a pub has the custom to sustain half a dozen ales then they really should give customers decent choice. I've been in my local 'Spoons where they've had five or six ales on and all have been stouts and porters. Nothing wrong with stouts and porters, it's just that I don't care for them and that's my choice. Another pub I went in had six light hoppy summer ales on. All I'm saying is that where an establishment has the ability and wherewithall to offer a choice, they really should make the effort to do so.
    /\/\/\/\ What he said! /\/\/\/\
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    At the moment it is quite exciting to see new beers and breweries cropping up in my area but I can understand the downside of it as well.
    I'm well aware that I wrote the article from a position of luxury and feel quite guilty that drinkers in some parts of the country would cry out for the number of breweries we have.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Another thing, as others have already said, is an unbalanced bar, I don't really want to see 6-8 handpumps all selling golden ales at between 3.8 and 4.5%, I want a bit of choice, there are times when I just long for a boring brown bitter to break the monotony.
    As we both well know 'ob', golden ales are almost becoming the default style of the northern brewers and it least partly explains why I've drunk more dark beer this year than any other.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Some publicans need to spend more time on selecting both well brewed ales as well as providing a range of beer styles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    But where a pub has the custom to sustain half a dozen ales then they really should give customers decent choice...where an establishment has the ability and wherewithall to offer a choice, they really should make the effort to do so.
    This is absolutely key I think.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

A word from the Philistine.

A very interesting thread displaying the amazing breadth of knowledge about beer and brewing held by our forum members. I cannot think of anything ground breaking to add without showing my enormous ignorance of the subject.

I walk into a pub and quick scan the pumps. The bigger breweries I know but most micro's are unknown to me. My choice would mostly be pot luck unless I made quick contact with a fellow drinker at the bar who made a recommendation.I know longer find it surprising how often a glance and a question can get you a decent pint and and interesting period of conversation.
    The name of the beer/ brewer is soon forgotten because I rarely find theirs brews again. So like a butterfly I flit from pump to pump in search of nectar in no orderly fashion. I think the name for the likes of me is a p**shead but I am happy in my own little way.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    A word from the Philistine.

A very interesting thread displaying the amazing breadth of knowledge about beer and brewing held by our forum members. I cannot think of anything ground breaking to add without showing my enormous ignorance of the subject.

I walk into a pub and quick scan the pumps. The bigger breweries I know but most micro's are unknown to me. My choice would mostly be pot luck unless I made quick contact with a fellow drinker at the bar who made a recommendation.I know longer find it surprising how often a glance and a question can get you a decent pint and and interesting period of conversation.
    The name of the beer/ brewer is soon forgotten because I rarely find theirs brews again. So like a butterfly I flit from pump to pump in search of nectar in no orderly fashion. I think the name for the likes of me is a p**shead but I am happy in my own little way.
    Wot 'e said