Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disguised Handpumps

Default Disguised Handpumps

I was in a pub yesterday and saw what looked to me like a couple of keg fonts on the bar counter. luckily I was with the more observant Maldenman, who noticed the word "cask" on the side of one of them. The barmaid said that there were in fact working handpumps hidden behind them, and we could see that there were what looked like wooden handles in place. As the beers in question were Young's Bitter and Courage Best we declined to test the operation of the equipment.

Has anyone else seen these things, and are they really operational handpumps? And what is the point of disguising them? Is it to dupe unwary keg loving beer drinkers into drinking cask conditioned ale? I would have thought it more likely to prevent real ale drinkers from realising that they are attached to casks. Luckily we saw some traditional handpumps so were satisfied in that respect, but if these really were the only real ale dispensers in the place, we would not have recognised them as such and would probably have turned tail and walked out.

I have attempted to attach a photograph, but am not sure that I have succeeded. The pub in question is The Running Mare in Cobham, and I have uploaded a photograph of them on the pub's page, which I guess Conrad will approve any time soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Running Mare, Cobham (3).JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	431  

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Wrong photo Rex.

(Sorry, bit of an in-joke, there was another one)

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Wrong photo Rex.

(Sorry, bit of an in-joke, there was another one)
    Yes, the other one was a little bit blurry, possibly as a result of my hand shaking for some reason when I was taking the photograph!

Last edited by Rex_Rattus; 20-11-2010 at 13:38. Reason: Duplicate posting.

The Cressy Arms in Dartford has something similar. There used to be 2 handpumps on the front var section and another at the side. The last time I went in I was a bit gutted to see that the 2 hand pumps had been replaced by what looked like keg beer engines but the side pump was still there. Being the only option I asked for a pint of Bombardier as per the pump clip but instead of using the "normal" pump, the barmaid walked up to the keg thingy and it turned out to be a hand pull. I did mention it in my last report...

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/15822/

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Never found a disguised one, seems to be plenty of "false" ones, just for decoration and "atmosphere"

Most annoying when asking what the brew is only to be told they are ornaments and would I like pint of smooth instead

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Most annoying when asking what the brew is only to be told they are ornaments and would I like pint of smooth instead
    That happened to me recently as well - White Hart in Eltham. "Pint of Courage Best please". "Sorry - we don't sell ales - the pumps are just for show".

If you go to the Coopers Arms in Aberystwyth you'll see a Stout-labelled handpull, but when you ask for it they'll amble over to the nitrokeg and get it there without even asking if that's OK! Very poor! Apparently this sort of thing used to happen a lot years ago but I've only ever encountered it here since becoming an ale connoisseur:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43742/

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    If you go to the Coopers Arms in Aberystwyth you'll see a Stout-labelled handpull, but when you ask for it they'll amble over to the nitrokeg and get it there without even asking if that's OK!

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43742/
    I recall something similar happenning to Strongers at the Waggon & Horses at Brentford, involving Fuller's Chiswick I believe. You don't see that sort of thing very often, thank goodness, I guess because any ale drinker would challenge such an outrageous practice.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I remember Greene King doing something like this a few years ago when their new St Edmunds beers was sold through a handle that was simply a shiny metal column. Then of course we have the ridiculous swan necked, north/south head contraption through which they serve IPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    nd what is the point of disguising them? Is it to dupe unwary keg loving beer drinkers into drinking cask conditioned ale? I would have thought it more likely to prevent real ale drinkers from realising that they are attached to casks.
    I'd say it's more likely to be the former, that don't want to be seen to be serving "old men's" beer in their shiny new chrome and leatherette bars.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.