Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub Crawls

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Pub Crawls

In my ongoing advertising of the various features of Pubs Galore, I was wondering if people had played with the Pub Crawl feature. Does it do what you want? Is it just another useless feature? How could it be improved?

When it was originally written we had it vaguely in mind that you could use it to map out a journey then post on the forums or a facebook like site. So for instance where Archivist is doing his review trails he could show what route he took and then post it on here, or an online diary or some such.

As far as we can see it is not really being used much, and it does have some obvious problems, it is hard to find your old pub crawls once you have done them for instance.

I do think it is a quite nice feature and am happy to spend a little time improving it, only really worth it if people find it useful/interesting though?

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Used it once for its intended purpose! It was handy to be able to print off the map with the pubs & locations.

Problems:
    1. As it's driving-oriented, the mapped route wasn't great for walking (so I reversed the pub order)
    2. Didn't publish it, as I wasn't sure how public that would be (didn't think anybody would care that much)

After a bit of a bike ride on the Downs Link, I've thought about linking together handy pubs en-route (but, as with most things, haven't bothered yet).

Actually, that would suffer from the same problem as above! Google Maps really only has its usability going for it - if only you could do the same with Multimap and its OS mapping!

Does that help? Probably not much.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

i have never tried to use it - mainly as i doubt i could remember my route around Bridgnorth, at the end of a night!

i will have a look and let you know
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi Paul (of Horsham),

Interesting stuff. When we did the maps road routing was the only one available on Google, since then they have introduced walking routes, sadly at the same time they put conditions on that you had to show their route as well as the little line on the map. Because of that I put it in the mental to do list, so there are possibilities there.

On a similar theme, I have toyed with trying to come up with a way to import pubs into TomTom and similar. MemoryMap for OS maps may also have some interesting functionality, not stuff we can display on our site, but could allow people to play with their own GPS toys if they have them.

Privacy is non-existent in the crawls at the moment, they will be shown against the pubs you include in the pub crawl, and there is the potential that we could put them in other visible locations. If people are saying they want some privacy that is something we can consider though (would need a little thought as to how you check whether the right people are looking at it). As to who would care, that is a little more ambiguous, I guess as I suggested it is possibly of more interest off the PG site, so maybe we just need to try and make the page link quite visible on the crawl page to allow people to copy and paste them to where they want it.

Clearly food for thought there though.

When organising a pub crawl it may be an idea to give some thought to the method of transport between pubs. During our short summer, while on holiday ,I was sat outside The Cocked Hat on the outskirts of Gosport, Hants a happy group unloaded themselves from this steam lorry.I think they stopped for the cheap meals as the beer was pretty uninspiring

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    a happy group unloaded themselves from this steam lorry.I think they stopped for the cheap meals as the beer was pretty uninspiring
    that's the HMS Sultan Sentinel, funny the beer was poor the Navy normally know the best places to drink.

The Cocked Hat is a Spirit Group 2 for 1 meals pub .The exterior colours are a bit much but once inside its not bad at all. When I visited I thought they had Speckled Heb but it turned out to be the smooth flow version totally devoid of taste.Not the pubs fault,I find it with all smooth flows except Guiness.
    Sorry I did not make the Royal Navy connection despite White Ensigns.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    When organising a pub crawl it may be an idea to give some thought to the method of transport between pubs.
    I like that idea, I may make it a free entry field, so people can easily state it for the full pub crawl.

A couple of ideas coming out here.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    that's the HMS Sultan Sentinel, funny the beer was poor the Navy normally know the best places to drink.
    Beat me to it oldboots

http://www.sultansteamlorry.co.uk/

Last time I spotted it was in Pompey Dockyard at a steam fair this summer, where I sampled some Oakleaf Brewery wares as well
    http://www.oakleafbrewing.co.uk/

Back to pub crawls, never used the facility but my method is mainly bus [free old codger bus pass] then walk around. Not suggesting you add bus routes to it but walking in some of towns is easier because of pedestrianisation, lack of parking at pubs and ring roads, Chichester, Bognor, Gosport & Fareham spring to mind locally

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

We will catch a bus, or train to and from a place, but we walk on the crawl itself. The only time we would catch a bus is if we did, say, the best 5 in Blocko and the best 5 in Wednesfield. But we have caought a bus from Wyrley to Wednesfield - about 4 miles and walked back, via several pubs
    MILD: