Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winter Warmers

Quote Originally Posted by The Archivist View Post
    - you have lived everywhere!
    not quite but I do get about, I've never lived in the Midlands but I did used to work in Staffordshire quite regularly a few years back. I wouldn't claim to be an expert on beer but I do keep drinking the stuff - purely for research you understand.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Archivist View Post
    Amazingly, i collect history/archaeology stuff, but do look for this and that as well, it just depends.

i picked up a few useful things and am reading Harry Patch's biography now
    Have you been to Blackwells Books in Oxford , its the size of a small town centre and better still is both sides and above the White Horse , one of the best pubs in Oxford .

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Have you been to Blackwells Books in Oxford , its the size of a small town centre and better still is both sides and above the White Horse , one of the best pubs in Oxford .
    I have ordered stuff from there, but not been - yet - another stop over coming i think

OB, i worked in Stafford for a few years at the County Record Office there, and never really did much in the way of pubs, a waste!
    MILD:

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Oxford is one of my favorites for a weekend away , loads of history , good pubs , old buildings not forgetting lots of young woman . Oxford never got bombed in the war as rumour is Hitler wanted it as the capital of the third reich , something to do with his obsesion with the occult .

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Oxford is one of my favorites for a weekend away , loads of history , good pubs , old buildings not forgetting lots of young woman . Oxford never got bombed in the war as rumour is Hitler wanted it as the capital of the third reich , something to do with his obsesion with the occult .
    Nor did Hay-on-Wye, Ogg - apparently Hitler was after a decent biography on Wagner
    MILD:

But did Hitler realise half the British Army was hiding in the Brecon Beacons. Well I dont know about half but my dad was and his mates in the South Staffs. Not liking this running around mountains he joined the Royal Engineers. Ha Ha they sent him to Scotland to run up some real mountains before finding a nice flat area called the Longmoor military railway where he could play with the trains.
    What this has to do with Hitler not causing Oxford to be bombed I have not a clue.
    There is a true story though of a steamer being sunk in the Bristol Channel carrying barrrels of Guiness some of which washed up on Porthcawl Beach. One barrel is said to remain buried in the sands the finders being to drunk to remember where they hid it. Just the job for Mr Arch.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    But did Hitler realise half the British Army was hiding in the Brecon Beacons. Well I dont know about half but my dad was and his mates in the South Staffs. Not liking this running around mountains he joined the Royal Engineers. Ha Ha they sent him to Scotland to run up some real mountains before finding a nice flat area called the Longmoor military railway where he could play with the trains.
    What this has to do with Hitler not causing Oxford to be bombed I have not a clue.
    There is a true story though of a steamer being sunk in the Bristol Channel carrying barrrels of Guiness some of which washed up on Porthcawl Beach. One barrel is said to remain buried in the sands the finders being to drunk to remember where they hid it. Just the job for Mr Arch.
    If it were Holden's MILD i would be out there - forget the Saxon hoard found up the road - MILD goes off!
    MILD: