Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Warmers

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Default Winter Warmers

Hi all,

Its getting to that time again when the Winter Warmers will be hitting the handpulls/handpumps again at 6% or so!. Who out there actually tries them, or do you stick to your regular pint (Carling for Conrad)?
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

And there is me planning to switch to John Smiths.

I have to admit I am looking forward to a few pints of Festivity now that the Winter months are soon to be upon us.

Yes, I must try some Festivity this year if I actually make it to a Bath Ales pub.

I can't think of any Winter Warmers from other local breweries, do Wickwar or Butcombe do one? I'm pretty sure I've never tried any though, always stick to my usual beers.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

We don't see too many strong winter beers round here, but the Old Ale is a bit of a Sussex tradition, with all 3 Horsham breweries producing one, as well as Harveys (and probably a few of the others, too). Usually about 4.5%, always dark and in the pubs from about now!

Mind you, Fuller's London Porter is a personal favourite when it makes its all too brief appearance.

We'll be warming up with some Old Empire 5.7%, leading onto the fantastic Otley O8 8.0% and ending over the festive period with some ale from the Heart of Wales Brewery. I'm not entirely sure of names yet, but one is 10% and another 12% (stand to be corrected on that last one). And now that Archivist has been and gone, Hobson's Mild 3.2% can come back on

Big fan of this time of year - some cracking porters and stouts around - I heartily recommend Dorothy Goodbody's Stout from Wye Valley - just beautiful!

Old Empire is a decent tot - and Hobsons MILD, well, what can i say! I think another book buying session is coming up!

I think you should look at relocating the Kilverts from Hay to Cheslyn Hay
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by The Archivist View Post
    Old Empire is a decent tot - and Hobsons MILD, well, what can i say! I think another book buying session is coming up!
    Thinking about it I have actually enjoyed a few Old Empires, but only the bottled variety. (Most of my 'locals' are clone estate pubs so drinking at home is a good option)

That explains your hair then...

Then MOVE!

Try Newton Stewart, Scotland - i seem to remember that was worth a vistit
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    That explains your hair then...
    Yeah, certainly if I have more than one. I usually fall asleep after the first though!

Quote Originally Posted by The Archivist View Post
    Then MOVE!

Try Newton Stewart, Scotland - i seem to remember that was worth a vistit
    Ah, but if I had good pubs within walking distance how would I get round to keeping the site up to date!!