Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub of the Month (November)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Pub of the Month (November)

Last month pub of the month thread now archived to Beer of the Week forum

Link.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Well, having done 'a Roger' and crocked my left knee, I think visits to (new) pubs in the next few days are unlikely. Therefore, I'm going to plump for The Bartons Arms, Aston *, for the superb interior, good beer and a great atmosphere - even if we did bring it with us!

*The non-surprise of the decade I know.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

No plans to visit any new pubs before the end of this month now, so time to nominate my POTM.

Sadly I'm going to have to award it to yet another Yorkshire one. The Firehouse in Sowerby Bridge.

Great beer, good wine, excellent pizzas & friendly efficient staff. Difficult to fault it.

It wouldn't be everyones cup of tea as it's a bit minimalist, but we loved it.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/70840/

AND I should have taken a camera. But there are some good photos here. The ones of the bar start at No 13.

http://www.firehouserestaurant.co.uk/indexaa.html
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 26-11-2010 at 13:53.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

It's not the most beautiful pub in London,nor an undiscovered gem ( 9 reviews by some usual suspects) but I have to award my POTM to The Old Fountain,Old Street on the basis of outstanding beer quality on two visits this month,the most recent trip to attend their second beer festival.Ten ales were racked up together with eight on handpump with a variety of styles including Mild,Pale Ale,Stout,,Blonde,IPA,Porter and a range of strengths 3.2% to 9.0%.One downside is that it is closed on Saturday and Sunday but for anyone visiting London during the week ,this is one not to miss.

With the snow currently dumping itself if large quantities, I can't see any more pub visits in the next 7 hours. A real headache this month thanks to the Birmingham and Clapham meet ups and footy trips to Burslem and Woking. I think I can discount Woking and whilst Burlsem was good I'm not sure they can fully compete with the Barton or the Falcon. I'll go for the Barton Arms in Birmingham for its unspoilt interior coupled with an excellent selection of beers. To be honest, the Falcon is just as good for similar reasons but it is a bit closer to home and I can save that one for another day!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Several contenders this month , i liked the Barton Arms even though it was full of drunken lunatics , but i think the two pubs on this weeks trip to Chester shade it , the Bear and Billet gets better with every visit as does the Brewey Tap , i think i will go with the Bear and Billet , great beer and great atmosphere
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Based purely on beer quality my POTM is The Eagle in Abbots Ann (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/71742/), a pub which I have previously overlooked a bit (probably because it involves a drive to get there).

Former Pubs Galore Coder

POTM has to go to Kilverts. Me and Dave finally got there a couple of weeks ago to meet Ed. Sadly since then I have been busy and cold ridden so sorry for taking some time to get it up.

A lovely place and fantastic to meet and chat to Ed, although I now have loads of questions about his impending brewery try out.

Dave even got to pull a pint (while I look as gormless as ever):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9405.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	449

If you find yourself in Hay as part of your travels, a must visit. I await to hear what is happening about the festival in future.

A selection of bar clips on the ceiling (of course):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9417.JPG 
Views:	308 
Size:	1,001.1 KB 
ID:	450

Are we not having a pub of the month thread for December & January?

It does seem to be less popular than expected.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post

It does seem to be less popular than expected.
    The low number of replies in November may have more to do with the two PuG meet ups in Birmingham and The Falcon,Clapham Junction rather than a lack of interest.I feel it is worth continuing with a POTM if only to highlight some outstanding establishments that forum contributors have happened across during the month.