Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burslem - Up and coming ale mecca?

Default Burslem - Up and coming ale mecca?

Spent a quick hour and a half dash around 4 pubs in Burslem last prior to the Port Vale v Dartford game. Was pleasantly surprised at the pubs and beers on offer. Had the Bulls Head, Leopard and Post Office Vaults on my to do list and there must have been 25 ales available between the 3 of them and a good mix (I was expecting everything to be Titanic but not the case).

Whilst in the Bulls Head, a Vale ale fan (has a nice ring to it) mentioned the newly reopend Duke William (has been closed for 3 years) which had a further 8 hand pumps including Porter and a cider and advised me that there are 2 other pubs about to open/reopen. Given that all this was within a couple of hundred yards and that there are another dozen or so pubs with a few minutes away around the back streets, I think Burslem needs to be investigated a bit further.

Shame I didn't get much time but I will stick up a few reviews and photos in due course (+ I have nominated the Duke William for inclusion on the site). There aren't many reviews on Burslem around so maybe if any of our Midlands explorers are looking for a lucky dip day out, Burslem is an option.

Hi Rog - I did spare a thought for you last night when I saw the latest score - it was 2-0 at the time. Hope you enjoyed the game anyway. I have never been to Vale park - or been drinking in Stoke for that matter !
    I agree that Burslem looks a good pub crawl - A lot of green blobs on the map !!

I am a salmon !!

I'll stay on me own

I went to Burslem a couple of years ago and did 8 pubs but i did see lots more pubs there but did'nt have time to do them.Here is a list of them.

Ye Olde Smithy choice of real ales
    New Inn no real ale
    Roebuck no real ale
    Saggar Makers no real ale
    The Leopard choice of real ales
    Red Lion choice of real ales
    Post Office vaults choice of real ales
    Vine Inn choice of real ales

I have got photos of these pubs and have noted what beers each pub had on if you want me to put photos and short review of these pubs on tomorrow it would be no problem.

Alan.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Roger,sounds like you have unearthed an interesting town for a pub crawl.I have visited a few pubs closer to the canals in the area but will mark Burslem down for an overnight stop next time I'm up in the Potteries,worth the long walk from Longport by the sound of it.

On a related matter,my typically pedantic view is that Stoke on Trent needs a tidy up on sub districts.For instance at present the Burslem sub district contains 6 pubs but the local map shows many more pubs than that.And thats only Burslem,the same probably applies to Tunstall,Hanley,Fenton and Longton.So there's another challenge to The Midlands brigade,besides sampling the fine ale.

I was informed that the Vine is now closed so don't bother with that one unless it was is one of the 2 due to reopen. The Sagger Makers (I think) is owned by darts chap Phil Taylor and I understand does ales but I didn't get a chance to go in due to time constraints +it didn't look particularly great anyway. The Red Lion is where Robbie Williams was born - didn't go in for same reasons. I get the impression that many of the pubs have changed considerably beer wise in the last few years so fresh visits will be of more use.

I'd noticed that the pubs listed didn't reflect the pubs on the map. Stoke is a messy city geographically, a conglomoration of 5 towns, but my boss is from Stoke so I will tap into his knowledge and try to figure out a user friendly way of splitting things for Dave/Conrad to mull over!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Not been to Burslem but have done Hanley , the Unicorn is a cracking little pub but there are lots of rough dives around with very dodgy atmospheres . Agree it needs tidying up , its a right mess .

This place looks a must visit http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52808/
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I'd noticed that the pubs listed didn't reflect the pubs on the map. Stoke is a messy city geographically, a conglomoration of 5 towns, but my boss is from Stoke so I will tap into his knowledge and try to figure out a user friendly way of splitting things for Dave/Conrad to mull over!
    Six towns please unless you want to be shot by anyone from Fenton. Arnold Bennett's fault that. Oatcakes, bacon and cheese for breakfast please, lines the stomach well, and look on the bottom of the plate to check which factory it came from, one of my relations is bound to have worked there.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 17-11-2010 at 19:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Hi Rog - I did spare a thought for you last night when I saw the latest score - it was 2-0 at the time. Hope you enjoyed the game anyway. I have never been to Vale park - or been drinking in Stoke for that matter !
    I agree that Burslem looks a good pub crawl - A lot of green blobs on the map !!
    We went with no expectations and fully met them! Had a great time all the same as can be seen by this link of the fans at the final whistle. I am the tall guy somewhere off to the right a few rows in front of the chap with the camera if anyone wants to try and spot me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy6B_j8eJC4

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I am the tall guy somewhere off to the right a few rows in front of the chap with the camera if anyone wants to try and spot me!
    Is that you 25 seconds in, near the fan with the scarf held aloft? Certainly looks like the Button frizz-bomb of a barnet! How's the ankle by the way?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.