Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vote for the best in Brum !!

Default Vote for the best in Brum !!

Why don't all you recent Brummie boozers have a vote for the best pub you visited ?

I know you can set up a poll on here but I haven't a clue how to - perhaps one of our more technically astute members could help out ??

I thought it might be interesting to see which pub you all thought was the best overall. I know it is hard to choose sometimes, it all depends on so many factors ( beer choice, atmosphere, architecture, price etc .. )

I go in all the pubs you visited fairly often so it would be nice to know which is the best.

Anybody up for it ?

I am a salmon !!

I'll start the ball rolling.

For choice you'd have to say one of the two main rivals for Birmingham CAMRA pub of the year, The Wellington and the Anchor.

For architecture and design, the Old Joint Stock is grand but the the Barton's Arms wins on that score.

For welcome, of all of the pubs we went to on Friday The White Swan is the one I could happily sit in and feel most relaxed.

That doesn't help really, does it?
    Waes hael!

The great thing about the crawl is that they were for the most part a good mixed bag of pubs, all having something of interest in their own way whether it was beer, architecture or personality. If I could have the Welly's beers served by the Anchor's barmaid in the Barton I'd be a relatively happy bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    The great thing about the crawl is that they were for the most part a good mixed bag of pubs, all having something of interest in their own way whether it was beer, architecture or personality. If I could have the Welly's beers served by the Anchor's barmaid in the Barton I'd be a relatively happy bunny.
    LOL, I'm with Roger on this one!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    The great thing about the crawl is that they were for the most part a good mixed bag of pubs, all having something of interest in their own way..
    Pretty much my take on the day.

I absolutely loved the interior of The Bartons Arms, it blew me away. Looking back, I can't believe I was initially hesitant about drifting too far away from the city centre. It would have been a crime to have missed it.

Obviously the beer at The Welly was fantastic, but to be fair, it was pretty good at all the pubs we went to. (The only memorably duff pint was the ABC Mild at the Bartons, however that was more the beer itself. The Oakham beers were excellent.) I just thought maybe The Welly lacked a bit of character?

All things considered, I think The Anchor was my favourite. It's the sort of place I could see myself settling down in and working across the pumps.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I agree, the Welly is about the beer choice rather than the environment. As Conrad made the point in his account , it can get cramped and uncomfortable.

The Barton's Arms is grand but I tend to feel as if I have to keep an eye on what's going on around me and I wouldn't feel comfortable outside there at night. Maybe that's just me, based on out dated previous history.
    Waes hael!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I think Roger pretty much nailed it for me, Bartons Arms was just incredible inside, without the benefit of local knowledge of the area

Spritzer Swallower

You seem to have something against Nicholsons pubs, lol! I was in the Bacchus Bar last week and the beer range has improved greatly under their control. An excellent pint of Jaipur in an excellent pub. The Old Contemptibles is also very good all rounder. The Victoria also continues to improve and must be one of the tops.

I also has the Iceberg in the Joint Stock last week and thought it excellent, and that again must be one of the best pubs inthe City. The beer had started to go down a bit here, but back on form for me.

Also the Anchor is a fantastic place.

The Barton Arms is a fantastic interior and the Oakham beers excellent, but with half given over as a restaurant (which I can see why they have done that due to its less than central location) I'm not sure its the best.

For me, probably Old Contempitibles

Wish I could have gone along last week, but Fridays are always out for me.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

As others have said the beer at the Wellington was great (quality and choice) and the interiors of the Old Joint Stock and especially the Bartons were fantastic , the pub i felt most at home in was the Anchor , though i must admit the later pubs are a bit fuzzy to say the least
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

The Old Joint Stock, The White Swan and obviously the Bartons Arms for interiors, good beer everywhere except the aforementioned one in the BA and the one in the Lamp I have fuzzy memories of the Old Fox, but I'm with the others saying the Anchor was the best all-round of the pubs we visited on the day. Birmingham Round 2 will have to take in the Old Contemptibles, Prince of Wales and the Bull among others not tried this time.