Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 14 November 2010)

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I couldn't say with any certainty that this week's nomination is correct but, after so long a search for this elusive ale, my botw cannot be anything other than Wye Valley Butty Bach, at Birmingham's Wellington.

Two pub visits for me this week-an excellent pint of Shep's Master Brew, though I was hoping for Late Red, and a couple of pints of St Austell Tribute during a training meeting about cattle parasites. I'd been looking forward to trying Tribute for a while, but must admit to being slightly dissapointed with it. A perfectly good and workmanlike Best, but it lacked that wow factor provided by my common and garden Master Brew. However my beer of the week was a bottle of Hopdaemon's Shrimshander, which seems to be as good in bottle as it is in cask:really flavoursome, almost marmalady, followed by a great blast of Kent hops. I rather think I've got another bottle in store for tonight...

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Well after Fridays adventures in Brum where several fine ales were sampled BOTW will be Oakhams Inferno .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Well after Fridays adventures in Brum where several fine ales were sampled BOTW will be Oakhams Inferno .
    that was pretty fine beer. However I tried some Ascot COB, a hazlenut porter, at the Nags Head yesterday and it was great. My BOTW, just.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Despite the Birmingham meet and the last week of the JDW festival my BotW has to go to the Great Divide Hercules Double American IPA. Had it at the new Euston Tap, it's a wonderful aggressive balance of hops and malt/fruit that challenges the taste buds. At 10% and £4 a half the experience may not be repeated too often so it's my nomination this week.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

So many choices, especially from Brum, the Oakham Inferno, the Butty Bach and the Trevors were all excellent but a Blue Monkey beer I had the day before just pips them, Son of Silverback

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Friday was a fantastic day for good beer and several of my contenders match other peoples. Loved Butty Bach, MHB Trevor, Oakham Inferno & Bishop's Farewell, but my favourite and BOTW was Titanic Iceberg in the palatial surroundings of The Old Joint Stock.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I'd been looking forward to trying Tribute for a while, but must admit to being slightly dissapointed with it.
    As was I the first time I tried it. Keep an eye out for 'Proper Job though, I think that'll be much more to your taste.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I knew should have made notes on what beers I had on Friday. Plenty of goodies but the one that probably stood out was recommended to me by Quinno in the Anchor (I think) - Sheffield IPA

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I knew should have made notes on what beers I had on Friday. Plenty of goodies but the one that probably stood out was recommended to me by Quinno in the Anchor (I think) - Sheffield IPA
    Ooh, yes. That was really good. I'll still call it for Ascot COB though (just!).