Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reviewing Pubs from multi-visits

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Just to add my twopenneth. I certainly don't think the drinks are an essential part of the review, pubs exist for lots of different preferences, we just happen to have a predominance of real ale'rs doing most of the good work. But food and just generally being a social hub are key points for some pubs and I think just as valid.

Also even fairly brief reviews tend to act to seed the pub, people feel more comfortable reviewing pubs where a review is already there.

For me the key points of a review are that they are polite and honest. And anyone who has followed my moanings on the forum will know the other one is that a reviewer should always leave a predominance of good reviews. I don't want to read various strops about how rubbish so and so a pub is when I have no idea what they think a good pub is, for me you have to earn the right to tell me which pubs are rubbish. As ROB pointed out on a recent thread the classic review line of "this used to be a really good pub...." - well why didn't you review it then?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Just to add my twopenneth. I certainly don't think the drinks are an essential part of the review, pubs exist for lots of different preferences, we just happen to have a predominance of real ale'rs doing most of the good work. But food and just generally being a social hub are key points for some pubs and I think just as valid.

Also even fairly brief reviews tend to act to seed the pub, people feel more comfortable reviewing pubs where a review is already there.

For me the key points of a review are that they are polite and honest. And anyone who has followed my moanings on the forum will know the other one is that a reviewer should always leave a predominance of good reviews. I don't want to read various strops about how rubbish so and so a pub is when I have no idea what they think a good pub is, for me you have to earn the right to tell me which pubs are rubbish. As ROB pointed out on a recent thread the classic review line of "this used to be a really good pub...." - well why didn't you review it then?
    Good pubs tend to be lready reviewed..

I#ll give a good review where it is deserved but my first few "filling in gaps" may be of bad pubs because no-one has got round to them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Good pubs tend to be lready reviewed..

I#ll give a good review where it is deserved but my first few "filling in gaps" may be of bad pubs because no-one has got round to them yet.
    I would certainly encourage reviews of "bad" pubs, because until there is an entry nobody knows anything about the place. Of course, one also needs to treat pubs which only have bad reviews with a degree of caution as there may be something else going on, but if you see a bad report from a reviewer one has come to trust then that is a great help...

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I would certainly encourage reviews of "bad" pubs, because until there is an entry nobody knows anything about the place. Of course, one also needs to treat pubs which only have bad reviews with a degree of caution as there may be something else going on, but if you see a bad report from a reviewer one has come to trust then that is a great help...
    True. I'll try to become "trustable"

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    As ROB pointed out on a recent thread the classic review line of "this used to be a really good pub...." - well why didn't you review it then?
    Because it was once, before we discovered Pubs Galore, or maybe even before Pubs Galore existed?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I think this horse has been flogged to death.

I personally don't see the point of negative reviews, all they achieve is potentially losing that pub business. The energy spent on trying to lose that pub business to my mind is better spent on trying to win a good pub more business. Or to put it another way, enough pubs are going out of business at the moment without people trying to help that process, why not do as much as you can to reverse it

If someone is trying to journalise their pub travels than that is fair enough. But I have always been talking about the people whose only purpose seems to be poisonous, and I would hope that is clear by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Thanks guys, well I've made a few comments as best I could! I've realised I think I know one of you chaps already from Aberystwyth!

Small world.
    So it is the same Spinko then (I did wonder). See you at Lynno's wedding I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    So it is the same Spinko then (I did wonder). See you at Lynno's wedding I guess?
    So let me get this right...

The acceptance policy practiced by Aberystwyth Uni was that you had to have a nickname ending in O... Correct ???
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    So let me get this right...

The acceptance policy practiced by Aberystwyth Uni was that you had to have a nickname ending in O... Correct ???
    That's right, Boyo!

I know I am repeating myself . The grottiest pub serving the vilest of beer,with barely human customers and a bar person from Hell is someones favourite local. Not mine and not yours maybe but someones haven from the Mrs, the local CID, Friday Night Snatch Squad or Probation Officer. Some pubs can be so territorial its scary , an award should be given for reviews above and beyond the reasonable.
    Write about what you see other than anything illegal, that is for a police report not PuGs. Ease of access and helpfulness of staff can be a big help to disabled customers as can the location of any car parking. I would not want anything resembling the now defunct Home Buyers Information pack. Hopefully a number of following reviews would give a rounded description of the place.