Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reviewing Pubs from multi-visits

This Space For Hire

Default Reviewing Pubs from multi-visits

I see there's quite a few unreviewed Leeds pubs. I could complete a number of them but it seems most reviews refer to what pints were tried. I can give give a general review based on many visits, but won't be able to refer to what beers were on. Is that ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    I see there's quite a few unreviewed Leeds pubs. I could complete a number of them but it seems most reviews refer to what pints were tried. I can give give a general review based on many visits, but won't be able to refer to what beers were on. Is that ok?
    I think that in general any review that gives an overall opinion of a pub is a good one.

Beerwise you could always say something like "Four handpumps with changing beers".

Sounds like a good excuse to visit them all again to me.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

It would be by me, I often can never remember, or note, what beers are on, but can recall the layout, car parking, food available or not, clean toilets, pool table, large TV, overpowering muzak etc, so I post that

In an ideal world menton of beers is good, but the general description is very helpful as well, at least so anyone searching would know to avoid if they have problems with steps and loo is upstairs for instance

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post

In an ideal world menton of beers is good, but the general description is very helpful as well, at least so anyone searching would know to avoid if they have problems with steps and loo is upstairs for instance
    I think mention of the beers is essential to give others an idea of what to expect. It's handy to know if all there is is a solitary handpump of Pride, for instance (almost always a token gesture and almost always in bad shape) or it's all Greene King, and it's worth mentioning if it's in the GBG or has got Cask Marque. And if there's no real ale that's definitely worth pointing out. I do mention lagers sometimes, if they have an unusual range. That doesn't mean you have to have tried any of them.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 30-10-2010 at 14:55.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Hi Spinko. It all boils down to reviewing in a way that's right for you. If you've visited pubs on several occasions then chances are you'll have a much better impresion of what a place is like. My own reviews (when I actually get round to writing them!) are very beer led, but that's because I care about beer quality above anything else in a pub. Doesn't necessarily mean it's the same for everybody. However, if you note what beers are available on a certain visit it does give a decent impression of the type of venue it is. Maybe something to consider for future visits?

As Leeds is very under-reviewed for its size, all I can say is go for it.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I'll stay on me own

As Leeds is very under-reviewed for its size, all I can say is go for it. [/QUOTE]

I would be carefull if reviewing pubs in Hunslett i went in 9 pubs there about 2 years ago 7 were fizz pubs and the 2 that sold real ale did'nt serve it very well and i got threatened by the landlord in the Garden Gate because i gave him a £10 pound note and not the change i had which was for the bus back to the middle of leeds.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    As Leeds is very under-reviewed for its size, all I can say is go for it.
    I would be carefull if reviewing pubs in Hunslett i went in 9 pubs there about 2 years ago 7 were fizz pubs and the 2 that sold real ale did'nt serve it very well and i got threatened by the landlord in the Garden Gate because i gave him a £10 pound note and not the change i had which was for the bus back to the middle of leeds.
    Yes, I will be careful, because the Garden Gate is much improved now after a takeover around 3 months ago by Leeds Brewery! It's a very "interesting" area however..a shame that such a pub is never likely to be successful around there. it could do with being picked up and lifted into central Leeds.

I would say that any constructive review is worthwhile.

There are all sorts of things you could say about the type of clientele the pub would appeal to (families or real ale punters), how many rooms and type (bar, lounge, games room), pubco or pub with some individual characteristic, service (friendly or not especially), local or town pub etc etc.

This isn't exhaustive and none of it is obligatory. I would say write what you are comfortable with and try to make it useful to whoever might read it (but avoid making any libellous/defamatory comments).
    Waes hael!

This Space For Hire

I would say that a long and in depth account of a recent dining experience, highlighting those microwaved Brake Brothers dishes that were "to die for," or more likely the unsatisfactory digestive consequences of eating them is best left for other websites, like Steak House in The Evening.

This Space For Hire

Thanks guys, well I've made a few comments as best I could! I've realised I think I know one of you chaps already from Aberystwyth!

Small world.