Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviewing standards

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    A quick aside...Has anyone ever been mistaken for or accused of being a "Mystery Customer".?
    Most places regard me as a bit of mystery anyway..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

In my case its generally just weird but harmless if not provoked. I add a bit of local colour, usually green from the previous nights hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    A quick aside...Has anyone ever been mistaken for or accused of being a "Mystery Customer".?
    No, but I've been asked "with menaces" whether I was from "The Benefits".

When I explained what I was doing he said "Better make it f**kin good then"

I didn't. Needless to say I haven't been back, but I wouldn't have gone back anyway.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

i went into a Thwaites pub wearing a Thwaites top once, when i asked the guy behind the bar about the Lancaster Bomber not being on, he went all apologetic - maybe he thought i was a mystery brewery guy (in disguise in a Thwaites top!)
    MILD:

Soups it was probably the dark glasses without a white stick and no labrador that made him suspicious.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    i went into a Thwaites pub wearing a Thwaites top once, when i asked the guy behind the bar about the Lancaster Bomber not being on, he went all apologetic - maybe he thought i was a mystery brewery guy (in disguise in a Thwaites top!)
    And theirs me thinking you walked around in full Regency Dandy costume !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    And theirs me thinking you walked around in full Regency Dandy costume !
    Sadly, Oggy. i actually do often wear the waistcoat, fob watch and grandad shirt
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Having kicked this off again I thought I would revive this thread with a quick example showing our thought processes and possible screw ups.

Back in January the following review was posted of a pub. It was the only review the reviewer left and to their credit they appeared to use a genuine name.

Avoid the censored if you value good food, service, value and your health.

My wife and I had a terrible and overpriced meal at the censored last year but I persuaded her to give it another chance as it is was on our route and we wanted a no-frills pub lunch. One bad experience doesn't ordinarily mean a bad pub, right?

We waited (about 45 minutes) for our food, in a freezing cold converted conservatory - ok, I can accept that, after all the pub seemed very busy. I ordered simple Cod n Chips because I thought it's really hard to mess up and my wife ordered the fish pie.

I received one of the worst pieces of cod I have ever been served. It''s described as a 'fillet' when in fact it's barely an escalope. It had more batter than fish (apparently the batter is home-made cider batter but you'll find better in a chipshop), hadn't been deboned, and wasn't particularly fresh. It wasn't off, I should say to be fair, but it wasn't fresh. Growing up around fishermen, I know what a fresh fish should taste like. My wife's fish pie was described as containing king prawns. It's almost accurate, as if you order one, you'll be wondering where the ***king prawns are too. The vegetables were cold and she descibed the broccoli as tasting like an arm pit.

I tried complaining and had to deal with the owner. He's rude and defensive. He seemed to think offering to show me the delivery receipts from his supplier and how much he paid for the fish would be satisfactory. The point is, I've had cod three times as good as this for 6.95 before. The price that the censored want to charge you? £13.95. What annoys me most is, because of the absence of staff (don't expect to get drinks served to your table) in the resurant and the bar, I had the opportunity just to leave the pub un-noticed. But we stayed, and eventually found someone willing to settle my tab. What a mug.

Two hours later and between us we've now got diarrhea and indigestion. Thanks for that.

By all means go, if you want a slow, awful meal for two that'll cost you thirty quid and if you don't value your digestive tract.

I suppose I ought to think of something positive to say. Er, they had some nice plants.
    It is a relatively well reasoned and seemingly honest review, although I would take all the times with a dose of salt.

We then received the following in March through the anonymous feedback system, with no contact details on it.
    other: Good Afternoon

I am writing in reference to a post on your website from a 'censored' dated 16th January 2010 in regards to a recent visit to censored.

I am requesting that this comment is removed from the website as I feel that "Pubs Galore" is being used by this person to vent his anger rather than be constructively critical, if you honestly have nothing good to say about a pub, say nothing at all."

I could bore you with the situation as to why this gentleman felt the need to complain but this is not what I want to use the guide for. Suffice to say no problem was brought to our attention until the gentleman received his bill which in my experience looks like someone wanting something for nothing. We welcome all comments our customers make and take them very seriously as it is only with this we can strive to improve. The purpose of this posting is solely to cause damage rather than give a critique of the pub which is completely unacceptable. The implications in this 'review' that the couple then suffered from food poisoning which I find very hard to believe and could be potentially damaging to my business.

I do hope that you would consider deleting this entry from your website I would not ask if I didn't believe that the guide and my business have been abused by these comments.

I look forward to you response and Thank You for your assistance in this matter.

Kind Regards

Mr censored (BII)
    Licensee
    There is no real way for us to confirm if this person was the Licensee, but it seemed fairly genuine. If asked to choose between the two I would believe the reviewer myself. But with no other reviews left on the site it was deemed as pointless to waste time on it by us and we deleted the review. I think the most decisive factor here for us was that the reviewer had left no other reviews, in particular of pubs worth visiting.

Typically 2 days later we got the following review on the same pub which as far as we can tell is from a distinct and new party in all this:
    'DREADFUL PUB! Arrogant and rude landlord AND landlady. I was even reprimanded for ringing ahead and apologising that 1 of the guests was ill so we were a table of 3 not 5 now?! Can't tell you how disappointed I was when we got there then as took my elderly parents there for lunch yesterday (Sunday) and waited over an hour before we even got served! The food then arrived about a further hour afterwards. Chips were so overcooked I sent them back. Next plate arrived undercooked. I left them. Service terrible and will NEVER return. Lady at bar was complaining about the service too when I went to pay (I'd given up waiting for a waiter to bring me the bill). When I told the landlord how disappointed I was, he implied I was lying about the wait I'd had as he showed me the time on the receipt when we ordered our food! I CORRECTED HIM AND TOLD HIM THAT WAS WHEN WE ARRIVED AND ORDERED OUR FIRST DRINKS!! How dare he!! No apology. I hope you lose your license and you are closed down !!!'
    Given the history with the pub, the fact that this review is all rant and the last sentence being a bit to far for our site we just deleted it. I have to admit to being tempted to undelete the first review, but as the landlord was probably observing things that would have looked stupidly divisive.

I figured I would just publish this as some may find it interesting to have a genuine example that they can think about what they would do with, feel free to comment on this, we are trying to continually evolve the site.

Is it the Censored Arms, or the Censored Head? - tried to find it on the PG search facility
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I could tell you, but then I would have to censure you.

Edit: It also now occurs to me, how vain is that publican that he names the pub after himself?