Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviewing standards

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Dedication, Sir, what else can i say!
    How about "What's yours"?

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

thats kind, i will have a Holden's MILD - cheers!
    MILD:

Well did make it to the White Horse, but as it was closed [opens at noon] had to content myself with pictures, which I will post in due course

A bloke emptying something looked quizically at me taking pics, but I donned my "daft old duffer" guise and he was quite pleasant, friendly little dog as well, which I realise is hardly a pub review

Former Pubs Galore Coder

At least it was a positive review

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    At least it was a positive review
    I wonder how this sort of review would seem to others, the only comment being "friendly little dog"

Would that indicate rest is awful, or just that silence is golden?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Dog friendly pub?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Bump, would be interested if any of our new members have anything to add.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Just glancing through yesterdays reviews (sterling performances from Arwkrite and Ga Andrews). I have just deleted a review by a new member on the site for mentioning being accosted outside by the drug fueled tramps. For reviews this is at the lighter end of the spectrum, having previously had drug selling and other less savoury suggestions about landlords.

Was interested to hear what others thought though. We have now reached the point where if you mention drugs in the review it is going to be deleted (that is not a challenge ).

In fact in general we will just delete negative reviews particularly off 1/2 droppers. It is a sad thing to do that, in that I think you should be able to review negatively, but it is just stupid coming on our site if you have an axe to grind, we don't want to deal with the wound up landlords, it just wastes our time and stresses them and us. Oh and if there are drugs on or near the premises, tell the Police, not us.

Anyway just an invitation to suggest what is right about reviews and amuse yourselves with what you hate in reviews. I may rip off good suggestions for when I build the review guidelines as suggested by Archivist as well.
    Oh Dear, I do hope my review slating Yates in Manchester doesn't fall foul of the negative review filter, if you look very closely there is a hint of humour in it

But seriously I think any review that mentions drug taking or dealing or indeed alleges any illegal activity should be removed. If not the site could leave itself open to legal proceedings, or at best having to provide IP addresses for the poster.

I think any review guidelines should encourage people to comment purely on their views about the pub rather than comenting on other people's reviews. Things that I believe it is OK and useful to comment on would include,

Drink range and quality
    Food range and quality
    Prices and value for money
    Staff efficiency (although this is often changeable depending on time of day etc.)
    Basic appearance of the pub
    Typical clientele / who the pub is aimed at
    Live music / quiz nights
    Dog friendly / Child friendly
    Toilet facilities
    Beer Garden
    Pool table / dart board / other pub games
    TV / Sky / do they show most sporting events.
    Location / is it easy to get to by public transport
    Other good pubs nearby (helps when planning a crawl)

I don't think I have used all of these in a single review but have used them all at some stage.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I think you tend to put in odd things depending on when you go or what you experience - malodourous bogs for example

I tend to arrange my reviews accordingly

Exterior (inc beer patio/garden); Interior arrangement and decor; games and TV; food if appropriate; Staff and clientele;

Beer range and quality

I then sum up giving the basic of would i go back?

I also think it also depends on how many pubs you aim to review - i review all i go in - even if its a two liner to say no MILD or real ale, so i left (though i make a point of saying this is a comment rather than a review) . Most pub reviews i do however are far more detailed - but not so detailed as some other reviewers, though they may only do a couple of pubs in a go and concentrate more on them - i am off to Rugeley tomorrow and have a list of 20 pubs - i wont do them all, though 10 could be closed and 5 not do MILD or real ale!
    MILD:

I have commented on drug trading in one pub I think. This was in a family branded pub the type which we used regularly around the midlands and beyond .The head Honcho of the ethnic group filling the place offered us drugs when we refused he told us to drink up and F888 O88. His charming little daughter threw a brick end at the car as we left the car park. ( Realised it was your neck of the woods Conrad.)
    Drug dealing is so common I normaly only make a mental note of it, its a game like spot the store detective. I don't want the stuff but as long as they dont interfere with my drinking I wont interfere with their sniffing,smoking or popping . Needles are anti social. Lets face it us drinkers are getting worse press than than drug takers these days.