Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviewing standards

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I think there are a few things there.

The White Horse may just have been having a particularly bad day. It is a problem this site suffers, people tend not to review unless they can see a review consequently we don't get anywhere like enough reviews, and it is only by getting a good balance that you can really judge a pub. I think this is changing though, the forum members are more than doing their part to get things moving and we are seeing an increase in people willing to review due to the dedicated members efforts.

As to beers, I think in a lot of ways this is partly our fault, I want to add more beer features, so a member can pick the beers they saw at the pub, sadly there is so much work I would like to do that that work is a long way off, but it would be nice to have.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Hi Conrad - wouldnt picking icons be as much trouble as simply writing the things down in the report?
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I don't want to get too carried away as it isn't happening any time soon but... I would like it so that you can type the beer names in and it will try and guess them, ideally this would be set by the Publicans so that they can change them as they change their guest beers. Also the potential then exists for members to review the beers as well as the pubs, or find nearest pubs selling Mild.

As I say, very pie in the sky at the moment.

I don't think you could have a pick list of beers, it would be huge

You could have icons for pub facilities/features e.g. barrel for real ale, soccer ball for sports pub, beard and sandals for a tickers pub, knife and fork for food served, head up ar*e for gastropub, twig for pretentious decor, yawning head for a boring pub, skull & crossbones for keg only

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I don't think you could have a pick list of beers, it would be huge

You could have icons for pub facilities/features e.g. barrel for real ale, soccer ball for sports pub, beard and sandals for a tickers pub, knife and fork for food served, head up ar*e for gastropub, twig for pretentious decor, yawning head for a boring pub, skull & crossbones for keg only
    OB, have you ever thought of editing the Good Pub Guide - you are a natural
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    OB, have you ever thought of editing the Good Pub Guide - you are a natural
    Nah, I'd just get stuck on doing the research,

Alas all the paper guides and I think at least one internet review site, have their own set of generally boring symbols already, I think we could do better with the massive talents assembled here.

They do serve a useful purpose so it's not a strange idea maybe just a bit jaded.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

The icons will definitely come, just a case of making it a discreet set and not getting carried away.

I think we may have to gloss over the head up a**e one however, maybe just use the Pubs Galore logo instead

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    The icons will definitely come, just a case of making it a discreet set and not getting carried away.

I think we may have to gloss over the head up a**e one however, maybe just use the Pubs Galore logo instead
    That would scare the hell out of people, they would think Freddy Krueger frequented the place (gloved hand?)
    MILD:

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    We'll have to get Inspector Farway on the case - see what he thinks!
    I read the White Horse review, many years since I was in there, it is one pub that is very hard to find, all on it's own in middle of a field off a B road, down a track, no signage, hence "Pub with no name", you either know where it is or never go there

Now, what do, I am in Blackmoor next week, perhaps divert to White Horse on way home weather permitting?

Watch this space

Dedication, Sir, what else can i say!
    MILD: