Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviewing standards

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Its nice to know we have a league of liberal and open minded drinkers on this forum. We all have likes and dislikes and drink whatever for our own reasons.

I raise a glass in respect to All of You.....(.whose is this pint of mild 'ere?)
    I am very liberal and open minded, but if you touch my MILD again, i'll have your hands on a spike

did a couple more Brownhills pubs tonight - shocking, Mr A
    MILD:

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default Case is altered review

I have just looked on BITE at the reviews there, same poster has copied it there, all other reviews there are glowing, so one must assume a crap night provoked the posting

Regarding bringing own food in to eat, The Market House Tavern in Portsmouth offers to let you phone for a take away to eat there as the pub does not do food, I considered this a "nice touch" and said so in my review at the time
    http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/13585/

Perhaps one way, which would need a bit more work for Dave & Conrad, could be to stop negative first time post until say 2 positive ones made, five may be pushing it, maybe they are not regular pub goers, just Christmas & works outing in a charabanc to Brighton for instance

PS, aagin more work, but I note a regular contributor, David Johnston, took the photos, and has submitted reviews of over 40 pubs, maybe ask if he has been in an, or pop in next time & submit review?

Thinking on, if first time poster writes bad review, perhaps hold it and see if regular reviewer locally could have a look as a favour? Getting all a bit "local reppy" now, so may not be worthwhile and more bother than it is worth, any thoughts on it?
    Last edited by Farway; 07-10-2009 at 13:21. Reason: PS added

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Keep in mind this is an example, I am not too worried about it and the solution is not for us to promote people to double check with BITES reviews .

Holding over reviews is a possibility, and as I have to rewrite all that code anyway, may well be a sensible one. As to how many we should hold over, if someone thinks one pub is good and one pub is bad (taking your 2 review limit to heart here) then personally I would rather they just posted the 1 good review and forgot the other.

Having another member check the pub isn't really the answer for me, just more work and there is an objectivity issue. Although I am open to the concept of local reps.

Trying to cut to the heart of this for me, as a 1 drop review, does that review contribute anything to the site? And if I deleted it what would be lost from the site?

All good debating points though, I welcome anyones additions thoughts on them.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well just had to delete another 1 drop review.

Review actually read relatively well although made no redeaming points about the venue, and reviewer had left no other reviews to indicate they were if good character and had anything other than bad opinions.

The landlord just sent us a well worded complaint stating they wanted it removed, and explaining the situation. They remained polite if slightly ranty, but who can blame them as their business is being impugned.

I hate dealing with these as you have no idea who is right really, but it just seems doubly pointless if the reviewer hasn't bothered to say anything good about anything.

That pub Star Inn, Burntwood..

Oh dear.. my ex girlfriend actually lives opposite it! I mean perfect opposite! It is bit rough and all rite pub.. only visited twice.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    That pub Star Inn, Burntwood..

Oh dear.. my ex girlfriend actually lives opposite it! I mean perfect opposite! It is bit rough and all rite pub.. only visited twice.
    Its just an Ember Inn - which i find all the same, and just not my thing - yet they are packed out - its just my miserable nature!

Will be a bit quiet for a few more days, Conrad - the room with my pc in at home is rammed out with stuff as we are moving things around - still got 30 reports from chester, yet!
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by The Archivist View Post
    Its just an Ember Inn - which i find all the same, and just not my thing - yet they are packed out - its just my miserable nature!

Will be a bit quiet for a few more days, Conrad - the room with my pc in at home is rammed out with stuff as we are moving things around - still got 30 reports from chester, yet!
    Is it now Ember Inn now? Hmmm may visit there one day.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by The Archivist View Post
    Does this mean I need to work more and not chat away on the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Is it now Ember Inn now? Hmmm may visit there one day.
    read my report!
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Does this mean I need to work more and not chat away on the forum?
    You - Work - thats a laff!
    MILD: