Ads not shown when logged in
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviewing standards

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Conrad/Dave - can we have an icon for large and small barmaid's cleavages, as proposed by Oggy just 4 posts into that lenthy thread!
    ahhhh that brought back some happy memories of a visit to this Newbury pub

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    ahhhh that brought back some happy memories of a visit to this Newbury pub
    Ahh, I am in the Newbury area next week, weather permitting, sadly I cannot see my female companion agreeing to go to the Lion just so I can perve

The latest review here is less than helpful; very BITE-like, complete with mangled text-speak:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16724/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    The latest review here is less than helpful; very BITE-like, complete with mangled text-speak:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/16724/
    Yep, complete waste of space, now gone.

Thanks

I'll stay on me own

Hi Conrad,

I have just put a short review of the Pineapple in Stalybridge on PG when i went in there in 1989.

This pub is still a Robinsons tied house but the last review (Yet another one off reviewer) gives the pub 10 and says it is the best pub in the world i now wish i had visited it 21 years later has i have now missed going into the best pub in the world.

Alan.

What bad luck Alan - 21 years too soon! And what's a "piannappa"? Some sort of pun on that disgusting Cypriot fleshpot? If so, that wouldn't encourage me to visit.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

At least they are making it clear from their name that they are prejudiced

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

I was thinking that of all the places I can imagine comparing to Las Vegas, Stalybridge would be well down on the list. But then, according to its Wikipedia entry, I discovered that it seems to be a commonly used local piece of irony.
    Stalybridge has in recent years, acquired another nickname, Stalyvegas, at first coined as a reaction to a council traffic management plan which included a large number of traffic lights surrounding the main shopping centre, making it difficult to access the shops, the nickname became popular and was used ironically after the controversial conversion of premises in the shopping area into nightclubs and bars, the proliferation of takeaways and the refurbishment of some of the more traditional pubs.

The usual caveats about trusting things one reads on Wiki apply, obviously.
    And you can really taste the hops!

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    I was thinking that of all the places I can imagine comparing to Las Vegas, Stalybridge would be well down on the list. But then, according to its Wikipedia entry, I discovered that it seems to be a commonly used local piece of irony.
    The usual caveats about trusting things one reads on Wiki apply, obviously.
    Stalyvegas is indeed a common name for the area. Wiki is partially correct (surely not). The name derives from the number of pubs, bar, clubs etc that have garish neon signs all around the town centre.

The locals think it looks like the Strip in Vegas. I've been to both, it doesn't.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    ...I discovered that it seems to be a commonly used local piece of irony.
    And not just in Stalybridge. Two nondescript local towns, Castleford and Pontefract, are known as 'Cas Vegas' and 'Ponte Carlo', respectively. The latter even has Ponte Carlo Stout brewed in its honour, by local micro Five Towns Brewery!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.