Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviewing standards

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Reviewing standards

Just glancing through yesterdays reviews (sterling performances from Arwkrite and Ga Andrews). I have just deleted a review by a new member on the site for mentioning being accosted outside by the drug fueled tramps. For reviews this is at the lighter end of the spectrum, having previously had drug selling and other less savoury suggestions about landlords.

Was interested to hear what others thought though. We have now reached the point where if you mention drugs in the review it is going to be deleted (that is not a challenge ).

In fact in general we will just delete negative reviews particularly off 1/2 droppers. It is a sad thing to do that, in that I think you should be able to review negatively, but it is just stupid coming on our site if you have an axe to grind, we don't want to deal with the wound up landlords, it just wastes our time and stresses them and us. Oh and if there are drugs on or near the premises, tell the Police, not us.

Anyway just an invitation to suggest what is right about reviews and amuse yourselves with what you hate in reviews. I may rip off good suggestions for when I build the review guidelines as suggested by Archivist as well.

Talking Drugs Galore

How about a new parrallel web site called "Drugs Galore"? Users could review Pharmacy's throughout the country and send in Photo's... They could talk about different cold remedies or anelgesics, maybe reccommend the best places to get a little glass jar of extra strength Vic chest Rub? Naturally any one who mentions alcohol will have their review deleted, with the exception of Gripe Water of course.

I wonder how some Pharmacists would react to having their Chemist shop photographed?

"eer Matey, whats your game taking snap shots of my chemists shop?"

"oh.. er... its all right its just a sort of hobby, I like to record all the Chemist shops I.... er... visit on holiday"

"Well bugger off, and take your Gross box of laxatives with you"
    Last edited by Filo; 08-10-2009 at 11:35. Reason: Spotted a misprit
    Visit my Website www.whitby.manymore.net or listen to Whitby Radio www.whitby.manymoreradio.com/

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Yes, abusive because it suggest illegal activity and plain personal abuse should be expunged. Reviews that fail to mention the decorative use of twigs should get a warning!

I have a couple of negative reviews to write shortly for places i really didnt like, however, i will try to explain why and use a little humour. We have the right to dislike and say so, but the review needs to retain credablity for it to mean anything, these people that post once to slag off (or indeed hyper-praise) actually do no favours to themselves, as people will see through it.

If you disagree with another poster, you dont call them a W****r, you just say you disagree and explain why - simples!
    MILD:

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I must admit to mentioning drugs in one review, but only in relation to a notice saying "drugs will not be tolerated and will be reported to police"

The reason I mentioned it was that to me the sign was indicative that perhaps drug users could be around the pub as I have not seen this sign in all pubs, so I mentioned it as a sort of guide to the pub, in much same way as I mention large screen TV with Sky sports, or 3 TV sets, or spotless loos, or special student prices, and latterly disabled toilets

To my mind it gives a someone a chance to consider if the pub could be what they are looking for, except the drugs of course

By negative reviews are we to take it poor service, duff beer or food and dirty toilets should not be mentioned?

If so can we agree on a symbol of perhaps a gagged face, or one of the 3 monkeys speaking no evil [just joking here]

What is a 1/2 dropper? Have I missed something?

class suggestion filo - hilarious

I have sometimes mentioned drug signs - but i think its about context - you are reporting what the pub want you to see, rather than making judgments about illegal activites. Sadly, it remains legal to sell bad beer and be a chav, therefore we have the right to mention it
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

We are definitely less likely to delete a review from a recognised user, for a number of reasons, probably the most significant being we feel a lot more loyalty towards someone who is contributing than someone who is not.

Mentioning drugs sign is fine - personally I would be reticent to interpret that, just report you saw it.

I think negative reviews are as important as positive ones, where a user has numerous reviews it gives you a sense of what they like (or not). I think if you can though, doing it with humour, being as clear as you can that this was your opinion on the day, and trying to see what someone might like are all worthwhile.

Also for me if all you want to do is moan about a few pubs I don't really want you here. The primary target of this site is to be successful, but underneath that I would rather we were supporting pubs, if we can get a few pubs a bit more trade, fantastic. If we put a few pubs out of business by slagging them off, bad.

I think if we write new user guidelines for the site I would say review a few pubs you like and say what you like about them before you get going, or risk your reviews being deleted out of hand.

Anyone who has survived reading all that as well, we are constantly evolving our thinking, so if you disagree with anything, just say.

Its all about context - even for a one-time poster. If you give reasons then others will read it. I have had a right go at the Star, Burntwood, but do finish saying younger people will like it more. Just wait for the Ring O'Bells after you put it on the site!!!!
    MILD:

Angry Negative Reviews.

Negative reviews are a must for this site. If you can't warn people off the really naf pubs then whats the point? The idea of being positive about every pub would sound a bit New Labourish, in that every comment has to be politically correct. So it's wise to have negative reviews if they are objective. There are one or two places I know of I wouldn't dream of going into ever again or suggesting anyone else ever visits. If some Landlords don't like it they should clean up their act.
    Visit my Website www.whitby.manymore.net or listen to Whitby Radio www.whitby.manymoreradio.com/

Being a dedicated people watcher with big ears ( or Nosey Old Git) I often observe drug transactions in all types of pubs , not all are scruffy ,ill managed, city or sink estate establishments. I have been approached by prostitutes in reputable hotel bars and holiday resorts. In one city bar three young lads openly split the proceeds of a shop robbery until approached by four disreputable individuals who wanted the money.Thinking we were caught up in a gang war we made ready to leave until some one flashed a warrant card and buried one of the lads faces into a wooden table with a satisfying smack. That Copper must be a fan of The Sweeney, bless him.
    I happened on a well known pub/eatery on the outskirts of Bristol where a large party of a certain ethnic type were holding court. Drug dealing of all types was being carried on openly even to the point of being approached by the dealer.One of their sweet children even bothered to throw a brick at the car as a parting gesture.
    All classes of people take illegal drugs and I make no excuses for them .I have even been accused of being in the same group because I drink alcohol.It is said the top of toilet cisterns in Westminster Palace all have traces of cocaine on them.
    I can recognise the smell of marijuana and thats everywhere in pubs now.In my extended family there are regular users. Where as they would not drink and drive they think nothing wrong in driving while smoking during or after smoking a spliff.
    Living in a rural area does not have the dangers associated with drugs that the big cities have such as gang dominated dealing.Our local Community support copper got sacked for drug dealing. Nothing surprises me now so I dont bother.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I'm not sure about the never doing negative reviews thing. As I have said elsewhere, better to win business for a good pub than lose business for a bad one. I am guessing many of you think even better to do both however .

To the best of my memory we haven't deleted a review by anyone with more than 5 reviews on the site, we have however ended up deleting the pub when the publican made complaints about the review and we refused to remove the review.

Out of interest, what would you like us to do in the event a publican sending us a strongly worded letter about a bad review?

Also for 1 shot bad reviewers, we have had some fantastic nightmares, the worst of which being someone who left what sounded like a perfectly reasonable bad review. At least it seemed perfectly reasonable until the publican contacted us and made a very compelling case that it couldn't be about them. (I trust our regular reviewers to be more competent on that front).