Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviewing standards

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by The Archivist View Post
    Need to PM you on this
    Received and read. Thanks a lot for that.

It sounds like the cafe in " Last of the Summer Wine ". I have heard of similar things happening when my mates have organised an evening buffet at a pub on returning from watching rugby at Cardiff. Which is a mistake because they are proffessional micky takers.Their week end at a Blackpool Hotel was hilarious. The food and drink was that bad they sent out for fish and chips together with crates of beer.This was consumed in the hotel bar accompanied by the harpy like shrieks of the land lady . It was generaly agreed she was more entertaining than the comedian whose jokes had all been heard before.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    It sounds like the cafe in " Last of the Summer Wine ". I have heard of similar things happening when my mates have organised an evening buffet at a pub on returning from watching rugby at Cardiff. Which is a mistake because they are proffessional micky takers.Their week end at a Blackpool Hotel was hilarious. The food and drink was that bad they sent out for fish and chips together with crates of beer.This was consumed in the hotel bar accompanied by the harpy like shrieks of the land lady . It was generaly agreed she was more entertaining than the comedian whose jokes had all been heard before.

Brilliant, that is the way to make your point.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

the ring o'bells and the star, burntwood - i opted for the humour value otherwise i could just lose it!
    MILD:

Some pubs are beyond belief whether its the way they are run, the idiosyncrasies of the customers or the strange behaviour of the licencee/s. I must admit I am good at visual observation but barbed comments often pass me bye. This is probably because after 30 years in a machine shop I suffer from industrial deafness.I rarely hear muttered threats or sarcastic asides. Basil Fawlty would fail to get a rise out of me.

A pub has to be seriously bad for me to get scathing. Bad Beer or Food without recompense or bad /rude attitude to complaints about such will guarantee a scorcher.
    I know I look at pubs differently to Archivist. So many of the pubs I visit are modern pubs with the facilities we require as certain. As much as we like them small old fashioned pubs rarely have them .
    This means I often visit pubs like the one in Burntwood and would review it differently. If no one tried nicking the wheels off the motor or the wheel chair I would probably look at it in a positive nature. Should the pub not have real ale I may pick a keg beer or lager but more likely, these days, share a bottle of wine. I realise my viewpoint can be from a very different angle.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    I know I look at pubs differently to Archivist
    Never mind, son, you cant be right all of the time

Seriously, thats the beauty of it. I repect your opinion as a regular, it doesnt matter whether you agree with mine, or not. I am open about what i like and i dont have to say sorry for not liking stacks of wood, twigs in vases, or whatever. I too drink keg MILD if there is nothing else (indeed, sometimes i prefer a keg MILD to their real ale choice), i drink port as well!

It would be a sad world if we all liked the same!
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Absolutely, there is space for different opinions and likes of pubs, for me though this is why the positive reviews are so important.

There has been a background suggestion that maybe the first 5 reviews should be moderated with the proviso that negative reviews may be rejected, which seems to me to be a fairly good solution.

Still interested in all opinions here, I am in no way saying I am right, just trying to make a case, so let me know if there is a way you want to see it done.

And I am still grinning at Arwkrites mates, what a great way of getting back at bad service

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

If we all liked the same sort of pubs , what a boring place it would be .
    I also drink Port , Vintage when i can afford it but a good ruby will do , and white port is fantastic .
    On a cold day if your feeling brave , get a pint of Guiness , drink half , then top up with a bottle of Barley Wine and a double Port , Gorgeous if a bit loopy.

forgive me Oggy, i wish to remain sober a little longer than one drink -

after all......

reports won't write themselves
    MILD:

I have drank Guiness and Port...Great...Real smooth.

Got p*ss*d on barley wine as a youngster, collapsed straight down onto the toilet bowel and bust all my ribs....NEVER AGAIN !!!!

Its nice to know we have a league of liberal and open minded drinkers on this forum. We all have likes and dislikes and drink whatever for our own reasons.

I raise a glass in respect to All of You.....(.whose is this pint of mild 'ere?)