Ads not shown when logged in
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Reviewing standards

I encountered the same in here.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    When I heard someone say they had received beer this way, I went to watch from the side of the bar and asked staff why they were doing it. I was told the cellar was not cold enough so the beer had to settle. They said it only stood for 10 minutes and if not served to customers it was thrown away. Weird. Wonder how CAMRA would take the practice. I did have beer served straight from the pump on the back bar and it was in excellent condition."

gillhalfpint - 15 Aug 2007 10:48

I did put comments on a stubbie to the relevant CAMRA but never heard anything back.

A very suspect response from the barman, when has a cellar ever been warmer than the bar? I've not seen that dubious practice for a long time but I wouldn't put up with it. I make a point of never paying for my pint until it is poured fully and handed over. That way any nonsense can easily be dealt with by a simple shrug and an about turn.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I have in past seen the pour / top up, but it was not from the slops tray, from memory it was more when large head on pint [filthy Northern habit ] and a settled top up was added to fresh pint, so you got 1 pint of beer and not 75% beer 25% froth

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I know the Cross Keys very well, and I have to say that I haven't noticed this happening, but I'm often in at noon (i.e. before any residue has had time to accrue in the slops tray). I'm likely to be in again this week so will keep my beady ratty eyes on what is going on. Thanks for the heads up rp. Like others I also feel you should leave it on - you are simply reporting what you observed. But the pub still has a lot going for it, and I live in hope that your experience was an aberration. I may report back when I've visited again.
    Well I was in there again yesterday, and I was definitely served a pint direct from the tap with no top up from a glass below the bar. Nor did I see (and I looked) any glasses with beer in them below the bar counter, so I hope that rp's experience might have been a one-off. But I will continue to keep an eye out for this happenning in the future.

It seems to me that the practice of topping up a previously half-pulled pint, for whatever reason, is on the increase. I've even seen it in my local JDW but they know better than try to serve me one
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

After a house-buying hiatus, I am now getting back into the swing of having spare time and adding more reviews from the mass migrate tool.

Anyways, here's a line that made me smile - though I have omitted it from the edited version of the review on PuG, given the slightly higher standards on here!

"A big drinking den designed for the suits and keyboard chimps that inhabit the newly-developed Temple Quays complex, so try the old UV light in the bogs next time you're in and fancy something a bit more adventurous than a pint of Futtocks Old Roarer."

This Space For Hire

I've seen this happening (pints brought from back of bar having been pulled some time previous) but only when going to pubs near rugby league grounds whose only profitable days are probably the 13 or 14 home games per season. I don't begrudge it in those instances as I'd rather warm beer that's been left for a little while than no beer at all due to the pub closing. In such circumstances they tend to have a waitress of dubious age constantly pouring pints, and her parents selling them from the back of the bar where she's put them.

Without this practice on such match days the pub would have massive queues, possibly inciting trouble, serve much less beer and be liable to close. I know which I'd prefer - at least it keeps a "viable" pub open..

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    After a house-buying hiatus, I am now getting back into the swing of having spare time...
    What's this? Mrs Quinno and now Quinno Mansions? Sounds like it won't be long before the Quinnettes appear. Best make good use of that spare time lad, before it goes forever.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Best make good use of that spare time lad, before it goes forever.
    A&H speaks the truth
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    What's this? Mrs Quinno and now Quinno Mansions? Sounds like it won't be long before the Quinnettes appear. Best make good use of that spare time lad, before it goes forever.
    LOL, not at this point in time - all the spare cash is going on overpaying the mortgage (bar my ring-fenced beer money)

I should like to point out that Quinno mansions is approximately three minutes walk away from here