Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviewing standards

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default A sheltered life?

Having read some of the comments re drugs & pubs, especially arwkrite's above I can only assume I have led a sheltered life, despite 11 years in the Navy

Or maybe it is just the part of the country I live in & time of day I visit pubs? I can honestly say I have no idea what the smell of marijuana is like, or perhaps I do not recognise it & drug dealing under my nose?

Anyway, I shall continue reporting on pubs, good bits & bad bits alike, with fuller explanations now we have more space, space was a very limiting factor before, so brief pithiness was required back then

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Yes, Farway, i am very innocent too - last thing i whinged about was four teens splitting a choccy sundae, not shooting up in the bog!
    MILD:

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Conrad,

what would you like us to do in the event a publican sending us a strongly worded letter about a bad review?

Well, it does depend on the nature of the complaint (after all, you don't really need too much hassle in all this), but my inclination is to publish it as another review of the pub, unless you think that might just be regarded as further incitement.

Out of interest, assuming the offending review was from a 'regular', would you contact the reviewer for their comments?

paul

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi paul,

A solid reply.

Historically our behaviour is:

For a 1 hit reviewer, just offer to delete the review on the basis they clearly had an axe to grind and aren't contributing anything. Where this hasn't been enough, we will delete the pub and blacklist it (stop it being re-added) on the basis that the publican is clearly unwilling to be involved in this sort of a forum (the PG web site that is). Personally I think a publican is mad to not want to be listed, it is free advertising, although arguably it is not worth it to them if people are just going to come along and slander them.

For a regular reviewer we refuse to do anything (assuming the review sounds solid), but offer to forward on their correspondence to the reviewer, so the reviewer can then make their own decision if it was too strongly worded or if they want to debate it with the landlord. To be clear we would not hand out the email address of the reviewer to the landlord. So far I think this has only happened once, and that was to a good friend and the publican requested that we forward it on in the initial communication. That one related to the fact that the pub had changed personality and was actually looking for a different custom - for me in that instance the publican handled it very professionally. We have however had to blacklist pubs because they weren't happy for us to just try and mediate it, as has been mentioned in another thread.

Amusingly we had a landlord phoning us on and off throughout 1 day promising litigation because of a review on our site. Having promised the litigation he phoned us up again as the review was being cached on Google (something we can do nothing about really) so he was going to litigate us (a somewhat empty threat as he had already assured us this was happening in the initial call). All this led to a blacklisting, 2 weeks later he tried to resubmit the pub with a glowing review (it wasn't allowed on). Strangely when you deal with this sort of rant you are inclined to think that the original reviewer was on to something.

I do like your suggestion of printing their comment against the pub and will keep it in mind. For the moment I have to admit that we will probably follow the path of least resistance. As the site is not profitable we can't afford legal battles. Once the site becomes profitable that may change, although it is an interesting challenge as our plans rely on the site in some way being financed by publicans (hopefully they will get something in return). I am guessing if as a site you carry a reputation for slagging off publicans they are not going to be so keen to pay you however.

It is interesting stuff, and I do welcome all your inputs

Apologies for the biblical post,

Conrad

Tobaccos have a distinctive smell and flavour according to the areas they come from but none smell like marijuana. Users mix it with tobacco thinking it hides the smell or to just eek out their supply. Not many I know use it neat.
    Ordinary Tobaccos burn with an acrid smell, marijuana has a sweet herby smell like a slow smoking bonfire on a summers evening. Lawd ,Arwkrites waxing lyrical again. I am sure if you hunt around enough of you friends and acquaintances some one will show you. Its that common.

I packed in the ciggies over 15 years ago and never smoked dope,not even when I went off with the elves and fairies ( nerv. breakdown ) and everyone and his mother was offering it me , even down the old folks home. This is in a small rural town...it must be the boredom.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I agree with Paul here, post as response unless deemed petrol on a fire

The same happens with credit reports, if the person considers item incorrect then a note is added to report stating under dispute, this is available to any organisation running a credit check, and they can make up their own minds on the matter

From experience, no contact made with reviewer [me and one pub, pub now blacklisted]

However I see nothing wrong in not contacting me, Dave & Conrad have no need, or I suspect time, to be piggy in the middle over a disputed posting, but I think that perhaps a PM to regular poster that review disputed, and take it from there, delete review or change it?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Ordinary Tobaccos burn with an acrid smell, marijuana has a sweet herby smell like a slow smoking bonfire on a summers evening.
    It always leave me with an itchy nose whenever I smell it as well. Like yourself I know a few users and have been caught by it passively at parties before now.

Thankfully alcohol is enough for me and I tend to think easier to get, although not if you ask some people.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    ... but I think that perhaps a PM to regular poster that review disputed, and take it from there, delete review or change it?
    With the forums now active, and I think me and Dave learning to communicate with the community a lot better I believe this will happen.
    Last edited by Conrad; 05-10-2009 at 18:02. Reason: To clarify that me and Dave weren't arguing :-)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

And as if by magic I get an example - early warning this may be removed.

On the surface I have no problem with that review. I don't understand however why the user who is clearly able to write and has an opinion couldn't have written a few reviews about pubs they liked .

As it is I think they had a crap night at that pub for whatever reason and have decided to have a spiteful swipe at them in the easiest way they could find. The review has no context as we don't know where they consider good. Also were we to get the publican sending legal notice that they were lying we don't know this person from Jack at the moment so it is possible they are just lying.

I am interested to hear whether that is a useful use for the site, please feel free to put your own slant on it as I am being very blatant about mine.

edit: And the less said about this review the better . ( I have to admit to laughing as I read it based on the fact I had just moaned about another review). Just to say though, for me that review is fine, because Archivist has demonstrated they have positive as well as negative opinions.
    Last edited by Conrad; 06-10-2009 at 12:54. Reason: Read another amusing review

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Yes, it is difficult. I know the pub, though i have not visited, as yet. As you say, the writer has composed a review that an account of his experience, without the use of bad language. He has supplied no other reviews to give a context, nor are there any other reviews of the pub.

Need to PM you on this
    MILD: