Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pub news of the day

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Yes, i seek out new breweries and beers, however, all circumstances are taken into account - i wouldnt drink an extremely strong beer if out all day. I dont mind playing with flavours, though i have never found a fruit beer i like! Coffee and choolate, i have tried and enjoyed in drinks, but MILD still rules the day.
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Immature sense of humour you say, the comics were taken from Viz.

Possibly not the time to mention the friend who I go out drinking with who I swear only orders Butcombe so that he can break it into 2 words with relish.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Immature sense of humour you say, the comics were taken from Viz.

Possibly not the time to mention the friend who I go out drinking with who I swear only orders Butcombe so that he can break it into 2 words with relish.
    He would love Slater's Top Totty and Dizzy Blonde then, for amusing banter with the bar maids, that have heard it a million times already!
    MILD:

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I'm with Paul here as an ale tart, as someone famously said, never knock it until you try it, except incest and Morris dancing

So I will try a new beer, regardless of sexy or absurd beer clip, but round these here parts it tends to be same names keep cropping up

My local does try a new guest every week, but tell me they are limited to what Enterprise Inns has on the list, this weeks was HSB, last week was Young's

HSB is a regular for me, well it would be as I live near Horndean, but the Young's was a nice surprise for me, very drinkable

So, ale tarts united we stand

In keeping with the tart theme, i cant say i am too turned on by Youngs and Fullers.

Just to annoy you all, i have just booked up 3 days in Chester, with a warm up night in Wolverhampton, starting a week Saturday. Was going to do York, but may need to stick closer to home due to work, so that had been put back until April-ish next year.

I did Chester a few years back, but this will be the first time i get to review - ooooh! how i suffer for PG

MILD:

I spent a few days in Chester some years ago and found it a great place for pubs. Too long back to recall the names of them but I am sure you have your list of worthy hostelrys Mr Arch.
    Our hotel was a modern place by the canal which our room overlooked and the bar charged astronomical prices. Mixing with the common herd in city centre pubs made it more affordable for me ( my mrs was on an expense account in those days but one does, or did,have some pride to stand ones corner.)
    Only ever been in one Wolverhamton pub and that was the old style Yates pub. It looked a bit like O'Neills pubs do now.I never put that link in ,honest it just popped up. My reason for being in such a place was again my mrs was doing the business in some swanky hotel and I was extra to requirements. Before you get strange ideas as to my mrs occupation I must say she had her own Telecommunications and IT company. The meetings were usually in hotel presentation rooms, but we certainly got around.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Ahh, the sacrifices you make Paul.

My Dad used to live in Birkenhead and when visiting him I used to regularly hop down to Chester for a look around the town. It is a beautiful town, oddly I can't remember ever going into any of the pubs though, so I avidly look forward to your reviews.

I worked in Wolvo for BT just before i changed careers into archives - two great pubs, the Great Western and the Posada (i think i only have to re-review the Western) a few others that are fun as well, like the Gifford

Funny, i had to do some work today on an old video on cine film we were given - it was filled with Walsall trolley-buses, going where - yep, Bloko!

I was trying to see if i could see anyone swigging a can on the top deck, as i thought that may be you, Mr A!

I need to arrange a day out from Chester - may go and see another Welsh Premier league match - did Newi Cefn Druids last time - so if any of our Welsh colleagues on here no the Chester boarder area, any advice would be welcome
    MILD:

For those of you mystified by me and Mr.Arch's references to trolley buses and how they differed from todays buses have a look at these pictures.They were taken on the last day of Walsall trolley operation Saturday 3rd October, 1970 by Mr Norman Field ( thanks for Permission) with a Zorkie 35mm camera which I have a model somewhere.
    You will have to be well over 40 yrs to remember them and I promise never to upload trolley photos ever again. Those of a nervous disposition please look away now.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    For those of you mystified by me and Mr.Arch's references to trolley buses and how they differed from todays buses have a look at these pictures.They were taken on the last day of Walsall trolley operation Saturday 3rd October, 1970 by Mr Norman Field ( thanks for Permission) with a Zorkie 35mm camera which I have a model somewhere.
    You will have to be well over 40 yrs to remember them and I promise never to upload trolley photos ever again. Those of a nervous disposition please look away now.
    Hey Mr A, can you ask Norman if the Local History Centre could have copies - the one looks as if it is at Wisemore, passing the Prince and Cuckoo and Bell, making the Ansells sign a part of the vanished Sportsman, or the Criterion
    MILD: