Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Forum problems?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Forum problems?

We have had a complaint that the forum logged a member out whilst they were writing a post, meaning they went to post it and it was lost.

Just wondering if anyone else had had a problem or in fact any other problems.

Thanks

Conrad

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I had written a review and found that i had been logged out and lost it all when i posted it - had to redo it - happened twice i think
    MILD:

Yes Conrad I have had it happen only a couple of times. I just put it down to my wireless network having a hiccough, which it sometimes does. My neighbours routers can try to kidnap me dongles occasionally.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Question

Ok, reviews are a little different as they are the main site. No less irritating, however.

Are either of you using the remember me features?

Basically I think the problem stems from the fact that the member was doing their post from work. As they were at work it took a while to write the post (I am guessing they were trying not to be too distracted ).

Anyway the underlying request is to up the time the forum keeps you logged in if you are not using the remember me. At the moment it is 15 minutes which I think is appropriate, but I am basically polling to see if other people have problems before I make my decision.

Implications are that if someone sits at your computer in that time they can pretend to be you on the forum, and also the currently active users stay listed for that time.

Will leave this open for a few days just to get some feedback and then make a decision.

Conrad ,I am in the delightful position of not having to work for a living other than looking after the mrs. My two computers are at home, the net book I use out and about is only for note taking or information purposes i.e where is the nearest 'Spoons ,Harvester,Hungry Horse.
    However the fifteen minute rule probably does affect me. I am a one fingered typist ( so thats slow) and often distracted for all sorts of reasons while on the computer. I also use the" remember me".
    So there is the source of my problem.
    Thanks Conrad.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

If you are able to use the remember me it should avoid this problem altogether, but it makes sense not to at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    If you are able to use the remember me it should avoid this problem altogether, but it makes sense not to at work.
    I think its more of a case of Mr A remembering which computer he is on!
    MILD:

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Never had any problems, but now retired so only me at home on PC, and use remember me as well

Quote Originally Posted by The Archivist View Post
    I think its more of a case of Mr A remembering which computer he is on!
    You are closer than you think Mr.Arch.. Its a job remembering which one I used to download a batch of photos on. I am scratting around for some I took of the Sea Salter Harvester. Are they on the USB memory,SD cards, external or internal hard drives? I can't remember but I am working my way upto pint to cool down. Probably deleted them in error any way.

my work PC is so old, it cant remember who it is supposed to be remembering - it knows it should be remembering someone, its on the tip of its chip, but it simply closes itself down, with a muttering error message
    MILD: