Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cornish Ales

Default Cornish Ales

Right, well I'm off to Cornwall this Firday, for hopefully a week a glorious sunshine just like we seem to have had throughout September!

Usually when I'm down that way I tend to just stick to the Tribute and Doom Bar, but perhaps I should be more adventurous this time. Oggwyn mentioned in another thread that I need to try the Betty Stoggs, does anyone else have any suggestions?

Is it worth me dropping by the Blue Anchor in Helston and trying the Spingo Ales?

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Sharpe do more than Doom Bar - they do a Henry's IPA as well, which is worth a try. St Austell also do an IPA, which though not as good as the Tribute, was decent enough. I experienced the Devonshire drinks recently, which i am sure will be available as well, Otter, O'Hanlons and Branscombe were fine - want so keen on the Exmoor Ales

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    St Austell also do an IPA, which though not as good as the Tribute, was decent enough.
    Just looking that one up on the St Austell site, that would be the 'Proper Job' then! Definitely looks worth a try, although with an abv of 5.5% I best not have one of those at lunch time otherwise I'll be asleep all afternoon.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I best not have one of those at lunch time otherwise I'll be asleep all afternoon.
    Weren't you going with the family?

no, Squire, it was a 3. something drink, i am sure. I think i had it at the Crown in Codsall, have a read

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Weren't you going with the family?
    Absolutely, that's why I need to keep the strong stuff for the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    no, Squire, it was a 3. something drink, i am sure. I think i had it at the Crown in Codsall, have a read
    Ah yes, I was looking at the wrong page! The IPA is a 3.4%

In fact the description also adds "a great beer to drink at lunchtimes with a sandwich or pasty" - sounds perfect!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

St Austell HSD (high speed diesel to the locals) is good but pretty potent , Tinners is a good quaffer . The beer at the Blue Anchor appears to be a marmite thing , love it or hate it . Always fancied a pint of Skinners Ginger Tosser as i have been called this many times

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Always fancied a pint of Skinners Ginger Tosser as i have been called this many times

How come i have gone from a real ale drinker to glass half empty?

when do i get to PG official MILD tester?

Patience Grasshopper, sorry Historian , the road is long to spiritual fulfilment.Only to soon will the Student become The Master ( pinched that bit from a tea advert). Everything comes to those who wait, except those on NHS waiting lists. I am fast running out of platitudes so I think I had better disappear down the hole in the middle. That last bit will confuse anyone under 25yrs.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Empty your glass and you can go on to be a Mild tester

I bet your mother used to have to tell you to eat your greens before dessert.