Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 31 October 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Managed to sup some 'spoons beer festival ales on Thursday but my BOTW was Colorado American IPA from the Red Squirrel Brewery served in the ever reliable Old Fountain.Sadly this ale was in such demand that the barrel ran out soon after buying a round,such is the way of life.
    You should have followed me down to the Wenlock - they had it in there as well!

My BotW was also from the Old Fountain and echoes Quinno - Brodies Citra.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    You should have followed me down to the Wenlock - they had it in there as well!
    At 5.4% it was probably a good job it ran out given the way it slipped down.Following you to The Wenlock would have been an even bigger mistake

Despite sampling a stunning array from the 100+ on offer at The Merchants in Rugby, my BOTW goes to Uley's Pigs Ear as recommended, and drunk, by its brewer.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    my BOTW goes to Uley's Pigs Ear as recommended, and drunk, by its brewer.
    Good to see you on here Mr Phat,glad to hear that there's some fine ale from Gloucestershire.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Despite sampling a stunning array from the 100+ on offer at The Merchants in Rugby, my BOTW goes to Uley's Pigs Ear as recommended, and drunk, by its brewer.
    Not aware I've ever had Uley beers so looked up their website and was amused at the appendage to payment terms - 'We regret we do not accept Credit/Debit cards, Luncheon Vouchers, promises of a good time or offers of tree surgery etc etc.'

Not visited Rugby either, but last year's list of possibles didn't get past The Merchants, Victoria, & maybe Alexandra.

All 3 are well worth a visit but if you go to The Merchants first then it's always a struggle to get out as they have the widest ale selection (and prettiest barmaids!).

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Not aware I've ever had Uley beers so looked up their website and was amused at the appendage to payment terms - 'We regret we do not accept Credit/Debit cards, Luncheon Vouchers, promises of a good time or offers of tree surgery etc etc.'

Not visited Rugby either, but last year's list of possibles didn't get past The Merchants, Victoria, & maybe Alexandra.
    Apologies for initial sketchy reply, unwelcome distractions. Rugby's actually a decent town for a pint in my experience. In addition to The Merchants, Alex and Vic which you mentioned, there are also 2 Spoons, The Rupert Brooke and The Lawrence Sheriff as well as The Squirrel - an institution and GBG listed, The Raglan which regularly wins local awards and various other boozers less well known for their ale quality. Everards are also in the process of refurbing a pub in the town centre which I think is due to be opened by December and the whole lot is within a compact town centre which is walking distance to the station.

After a couple of days in York, two more in Sheffield and a couple more around the Dale this weeks choice has been pretty difficult.

With honourable mentions to TSA Double Expresso Stout and Wychwood King Goblin (like Hobgoblin used to be before they reduced the ABV).

This weeks winner is going to be Thornbridge Lumford tried at both the Sheffield Tap & Trippets in Sheffield.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Adnams Ghost Ship, Crouch Vale Blackwater Mild, Castle Rock Harvest Pale, Ha'penny Gog Magog and Palmer's Tally Ho would all have been worthy winners most weeks, but BOTW came down to a choice between BrewDog Edge and Crouch Vale Brewer's Gold.

I'm going to give it to the Brewer's Gold which I enjoyed in both the Harp and Edgar Wallace - the BrewDog will probably have to settle for being beer of the festival (JDW), although there's still a lot more to be drunk before that decision is made.

Spoiled for choice this week after just a couple of sessions around Harrogate and Knaresborough, Yorkshire Dales Oktoberfest, Salamander Spadefoot and Fernandes Lucifer all came close but it's got to be Marble Testbrew this time.