Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheffield 22.10.10

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

If any southern members fancy a pre-Christmas treat in this real ale paradise, megabus.com currently have trains London-Sheffield (20/21/22 Dec) from £5e/w *(2hrs09)

I've booked this route, then on to Manchester to save money. And if I happen to tick off the Gardeners Rest this time between trains, well, that's just a bonus.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Really strange this thread coming up again today as we have just got back from a day up there.

Ever such as boring day visiting the same old pubs.... Harlequin, Riverside, Gardners Rest, Hillsborough Hotel, Fat Cat, Kelham Island Tavern and Wellington.

Enjoyed 20 different halves with Ray from Little Valley, Goose Eye, Glentworth, Brew Company, Anglo Dutch, White Rose, Sheffield, Crown, Hardknott, Derwent, Raw, Brentwood, Funfair, Steel City, Little Ale Cart and Mighty Oak breweries. All beers completely new ones for us.

Tough life, but someone has to leave the cards at some good pubs.

It must have been hell.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Sure it was, and the promised rain didn't fall on us either!

Only got wet on the inside to the extent we couldn't stumble along to the Sheffield tap on platform 1. Means we will be going through the whole process again on Dec 18th.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Sure it was, and the promised rain didn't fall on us either!

Only got wet on the inside to the extent we couldn't stumble along to the Sheffield tap on platform 1. Means we will be going through the whole process again on Dec 18th.
    Up in Sheffield today meeting a friend from KI Brewery for a tour and pub crawl. Can't wait after reading this thread.

Sadly I have about 2 hours to kill hanging around the train station. God only knows how I'll pass the time
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    Up in Sheffield today meeting a friend from KI Brewery for a tour and pub crawl. Can't wait after reading this thread.

Sadly I have about 2 hours to kill hanging around the train station. God only knows how I'll pass the time
    If you get tired of the Tap try this one, newly listed in GBG 2011. It's < 5 minutes away and if you're going to KI won't be on your route.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43353/
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    If you get tired of the Tap try this one, newly listed in GBG 2011. It's < 5 minutes away and if you're going to KI won't be on your route.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43353/
    I'll certainly have a look at that one. By the sounds of it I need a week at least! Though I might be going up there quiet regularly (once a month or so). I'm staying here tonight, so talk quietly on the forum tomorrow morning please http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57716/

I'll certainly have a look at that one. By the sounds of it I need a week at least! Though I might be going up there quiet regularly (once a month or so). I'm staying here tonight, so talk quietly on the forum tomorrow morning please http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57716/
    Good pub, good beers, never stayed in the rooms though. Very convenient for the tram as well.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I'm staying here tonight, http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/57716/
    What was the verdict on the accommodation Eddie? HH has long been earmarked for stopover when I manage to get a proper 2-day tour of Sheff organised. Is it still £60 twin/double?
    Which of the many splendid venues did you manage on your visit?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    What was the verdict on the accommodation Eddie? HH has long been earmarked for stopover when I manage to get a proper 2-day tour of Sheff organised. Is it still £60 twin/double?
    Which of the many splendid venues did you manage on your visit?
    When I first arrived I popped in the obvious choice, which I've already commented on (lack of dark beer on such a large range, 5 out of 6 ales from 1 brewery). Then to the HH, which is well worth the cost. It was £40 for single occupancy of a double room, which had a pleasant bed and full en-suite. The bar had 6 of their own ales on (including stout and american IPA) all of which were in good nick and the brewer was happy to show me the brewery and chat about beer.

KIB tour, followed by Fat Cat (my favourite of them all). Then somewhere posh for dinner, wouldn't rush back. The SU impressed me - they were having a Thornbridge week with 4 or 5 of their ales on. I had the porter, lovely. Then we went to a pub with a huge glass bottle store - I think it had an animal in the name. There were a couple more pubs after that before back at the HH (it gets very busy when Sheffield Wednesday play, although it took me a while to work out why everyone was talking about 'Wednesday wasn't on top form' on a Tuesday night...

It'd take me a week of casual drinking to get through all the good pubs - there were so many that we went past that my guide pointed to and said we'd go there next time I was up.