Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheffield 22.10.10

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Smile Sheffield 22.10.10

I have just added a crawl of Sheffield that I did with friends on Friday. The biggest problem with the valley of beer now is that I cannot get round all the pubs, and as I was not the leader missed out on the Wellington, one I always go to when there are just the 2 of us, so had to leave it and others out of the crawl as the leader was showing a newcomer to the area the way round.

Suppose its always good to have too many pubs to go round, but then there is the problem of how many drinks to try in the pubs, knowing there will still be more to come. You never run out of choices in Sheffield that's for sure!

Also did Wye Valley Brewery on Saturday followed by the Barrels and the Britannia. I know the Barrels well enough so was ok for that review, but the Britannia was new and can I heck as like remember anything much now about the pub, sorry. I have entered a review, but my main memory other than the beer, is the lovely friendly dog in the garden!

Feel I need a few days off, but working at Birmingham beer festival all next week. Ho hum. Aint life fun.

Gill

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Aint life fun.
    It certainly seems to be for you Gill, you lucky thing.
    Sheffield does need a two-dayer. My list, including some slightly out-of-towners, is already 17, and most of those would ordinarily demand at least one joker. I will be passing thru on Saturday, and have an hour between trains to tick off just The Tap.

Waes hael!

Shock Report!!!!!

The CAMRA's have just spent 2 days/nights in Sheffield and didn't revisit any of the "Valley Of Beer" pubs.

No KIT, Fat Cat, Welly, Harlequin, Crown, New Barrack.........

Plenty of reviews to add though. Old House, Three Tuns, Trippets, Rutland, Sheffield Tap, Swim Inn, Red Deer, Museum...........................

You have to have a change occasionally.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I've read a few post about Sheffield on the forum.

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...heffield-Crawl

I must break my Sheffield duck some time soon.
    Waes hael!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    The CAMRA's have just spent 2 days/nights in Sheffield and didn't revisit any of the "Valley Of Beer" pubs....You have to have a change occasionally.
    Have you ever managed to get to the Sheaf View, Heeley (South of the centre) ROB? http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43365/ Been recommended this place recently.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

My trouble is, once I hit the valley of beer I haven't the capacity to try anywhere else. When I have 4 nights up there for CAMRA AGM next year, I may look at other favoured pubs, after doing the regular haunts of course.

Have done the Museum, Red Deer, Swim Inn when I first went to Sheffield as a novice, but there are so many on that route now choice over the must do's gets difficult. I like the New Barracks and Devonshire Cat, but rarely make it to them these days. Sheffield Tap on the station made it to my list though as I am at the station anyway at the start and finish of any crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Have you ever managed to get to the Sheaf View, Heeley (South of the centre) ROB? http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43365/ Been recommended this place recently.
    Never been I'm afraid. It's GBG 2011 listed though. Given its position near Bramhall Lane I suspect footy days would be a bad time to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    My trouble is, once I hit the valley of beer I haven't the capacity to try anywhere else. When I have 4 nights up there for CAMRA AGM next year, I may look at other favoured pubs, after doing the regular haunts of course.

Have done the Museum, Red Deer, Swim Inn when I first went to Sheffield as a novice, but there are so many on that route now choice over the must do's gets difficult. I like the New Barracks and Devonshire Cat, but rarely make it to them these days. Sheffield Tap on the station made it to my list though as I am at the station anyway at the start and finish of any crawl.
    Sheffield seems to be one of those places that get visited a lot, but only the same pubs get reviewed. So the coverage is pretty poor despite its popularity as a destination.

Museum & Red Deer have had major changes in the last couple of years, all positive. We didn't even get to the Bath Hotel even though we were nearby. Trippets now has 5 Thornbridge beers + 3 guests. Rutland now has several handpumps and is GBG 2011 listed, as is Old House.

The number of good beer places is still increasing. A flying visit by train will only take in about 20% of them soon.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I still have Ranmoor Inn, Rising Sun, Red Deer, University Arms & Gardeners Rest on my list to visit, and seems likely there'll be still more to add - I'll look out for ROB's comments on his tour.
    Managed the Tap briefly on friday: 5 Thornbridge, 3 Purity, Darkstar APA, & a.n.other. That was the selection, not what I drank! You'll have to go a long way to get a better station bar than this, though I've yet to visit Stalybridge or Dewsbury...