Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: London Drinkers

Good work, Roger!

So, err, with geography not being a strong point of mine, am I a Kentish Man or a Man of Kent? I was born in Chatham, so...

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    Good work, Roger!

So, err, with geography not being a strong point of mine, am I a Kentish Man or a Man of Kent? I was born in Chatham, so...
    My Grandad also came from Chatham. He would refer to himself as a Kentish Man of Kent! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    Good work, Roger!

Unless they have diverted the course of the river in recent years, Chatham was east of the Medway which makes you a Man Of Kent.

Spritzer Swallower

Ahhhh, damn, how did I manage to miss the announcement of this? I think the whole subforum thing is confusing me

I think saying that I "organised" last night's event is a bit over the top. All I really did was identify a pub, specify a date, and post a new thread, and get there early enough to bag a table. Nonetheless, it was certainly worth the somewhat minimal effort I expended.

Thanks Gann - I reckon that saying I know more about beer and historic pub interiors than the workings of a digital camera to be a compliment. Clearly my time spent in pubs has not been wasted.

Like Roger I found the PuG T-shirt to be an advantage. Letting the barmaid know that I was a chum of RogerB was also an added advantage. I didn't have a spare T-shirt for her, but of course she got one of the calling cards, which I'm sure she will treasure.

In the event it wasn't a crawl. At a couple of points during the evening I did mention the possibility of wandering down to the Eagle Ale House and/or The Nightingale, but the consensus was that there was little point as the Falcon had 17 ales on, and we had a table from which we could spy the ale list on the chalboard above the bar back. Of course by the end of the evening the PuG team had given the ales a serious pounding (bit like some heads this morning I suspect) and several (three as I recall) casks had been drunk dry. It was hard and thirsty work, but we all stuck to the Herculean task manfully and, I think, emerged triumphant.

I think I've managed to attach a team photograph, the quality of which will confirm Gann's assessment of my photographic skills! Those in the photograph are: HTM69 in the foreground; then going clockwise we have RogerB; Bryan (brother-in-law of Brakslover); Bucking Fastard; Gann; Brakslover; Maldenman; and Pubsignman. Those missing from the shot are rpadam, who had to leave earlier, and yours truly who was behind the camera. It was a great evening, and one I'm sure we will repeat before too long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PuG Team (2).JPG 
Views:	199 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	437  

Rex, you're too modest - you certainly deserve credit for organising a very enjoyable evening. The choice of pub was excellent - we struggled to think of many other London pubs that would have had 17 ales on offer.

And thanks to Roger for the trivia answers - I thought HTM69's Kentish status would forever remain a mystery.

I certainly look forward to another get together in the near future.

And this is what we would have looked like if Rex knew how to work his flash...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PuG%20Team%20(2).jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	586.6 KB 
ID:	438

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    And this is what we would have looked like if Rex knew how to work his flash...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PuG%20Team%20(2).jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	586.6 KB 
ID:	438
    Cheers Roger. Well, nobody can accuse me of being a flash s*d!

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Hmm, perhaps the darker version does me more favours.

I assume Rex that my meddling with your camera on the train home has not left it in a more useless condition?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    RPA managed to double his normal criteria by having a quick 2 and he's off (we think he sneaked a bonus pint in teh Slug & Lettuce next door).
    Ha! It was actually the rather hideous, but could be rather better given its location, Sloe Bar at Waterloo Station (and only because I got there from Clapham Junction in record time despite having playing the traditional platform-roulette-with-contradictory-information-from-each-so-called-information-board game). Anyway, it was good to see some of you, and sorry to have missed others - next time...