Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: London Drinkers

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    As am I, trainman, are you watching?
    Yep, I'm just catching up with PG business after returning from N.Wales last night.
    Funding is the only (but rather crucial) thing that might prevent my attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    gah, Clapham Junction is fairly inaccessable from Reading unless I get the slow ponderous Waterloo train but that'll take AGES.
    True, 1hr14 sounds a long schlep, but drops you next door to the pub with no need to cross London then get another train out to CJ. A bit cheaper than going through Z1 too; I once took that route to Reading, my (solo) first visit, I think. Mostly slept on return journey.

I should be able to make this as Clapham is a short train journey from where I work. I think the Falcon is a great pub - they have a handy blackboard behind the bar now which saves a lengthy walk round the pub to inspect all the pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    gah, Clapham Junction is fairly inaccessable from Reading unless I get the slow ponderous Waterloo train but that'll take AGES. So I'll miss this one out (I might still be recovering from Birmingham anyway...)
    I had the misfortune of having to take this train on Sunday on my way home from Oxford - infuriatingly slow, but nothing a good book couldn't fix.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Not so sure the trains on that route have a toilet, after a number of pints an hour and 14mins is a very long time as far as my bladder is concerned.
    Last edited by Maldenman; 26-10-2010 at 14:31.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

[QUOTE=trainman;22551]Yep, I'm just catching up with PG business after returning from N.Wales last night.
    Funding is the only (but rather crucial) thing that might prevent my attendance.

Hope you can make it. Rhyl as good as expected?

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

[QUOTE=Maldenman;22589]
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Rhyl as good as expected?
    Nearer Prestatyn really. A friend's (holiday) house is next to the golf course, across which a 200yd wander takes you to a deserted beach. The dogs loved it, dunes & rabbit trails.
    The target was the N.Wales food festival, or Conwy Feast. A bit busy, but some stalls with decent samples, especially the (obviously new to me) Conwy Brewery, or Bragdy Conwy, as we locals now call it. I brought back a variety of half a dozen of their excellent bottled beers (unusually, all RAIB), 6 for a tenner. The event, near the impressive castle and along the waterfront, also had a beer tent - maybe 20 handpumps to which I couldn't really do justice.
    I appreciate the local knowledge imparted by Millay but managed only Conwy's Liverpool Arms (both handpumps reverse clipped, so visited for toilet stop only) and passed The Bridge (which looked a bit shabby to drag the group into, and a look through the window had suggested only a couple of pumps incl Hobgoblin which I don't really like). We did hole up in the Castle Hotel bar for a while to get warm, and they had 3 Bragdy Conwy beers on HP, touch!
    Back Sunday for a pre-booked '30-mile menu' on the quay, was pretty good and I was sat next to a food/wine/beer reporter who lives in Todmorden. I was delighted to be able to show off my expansive (haha!) ale knowledge by saying, 'Oh yes, wasn't there a beer festival at the cricket club just recently?'. Well, when I said 'odmorden CC', he knew what I meant ROB .
    Only other pub I managed was Royal Standard of England on way back down M40, Forty Green, nr Beaconsfield.

Oh, one of the tents also had Purple Moose stand where I nabbed a few tasters, and a pint of Snowdonia (ok, I had to pay for the pint).
    Last edited by trainman; 26-10-2010 at 16:11.

[QUOTE=trainman;22593]
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Oh, one of the tents also had Purple Moose stand where I nabbed a few tasters
    Lucky sod!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

[QUOTE=rpadam;22622]
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Lucky sod!
    Slightly off topic ,but is there anywhere in London or the South East that has any Purple Moose ales,it seems a lot of regulars on here wax lyrical about their beers and I'm keen to get involved.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Monday? Well, Clapham Junction is on the way home, alright.

A possible, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post

Slightly off topic ,but is there anywhere in London or the South East that has any Purple Moose ales,it seems a lot of regulars on here wax lyrical about their beers and I'm keen to get involved.
    I recently emailed the brewery asking if they knew of any London outlets for their beers and I got a reply from them this morning saying that they don't supply bottles to any outlets outside of Wales, but that cask sales (via wholesalers) are becoming more frequent to the capital.
    They specifically mentioned this pub, which has the Glaslyn Ale on at the moment:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22408/

Blimey, another thread I seem to have completely missed...

I could well be able to make this one and break my 'cherry' as far as pub review site meet ups go (if you don't count dropping in on Conrad and Dave when I was in Bristol).

The proposed venue means I'll have to buff up the passport and cross the river into dangerous territory but I'm prepared to take the risk on behalf of PuG.

As i've never met up with any other suspects, will there be a recognition code expression ? "I believe the TT Landlord is on good form tonight" for example ?
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde