Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drinks to avoid

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    Stella Artois: any evening that has been ruined over the past decade has been due to my consumption of this vile ‘continental lager’. I’m generally OK after a couple, but any more and I quite literally turn for the worse. I become rude, vulgar and rather sadly – aggressive. I drank this beer a lot circa 2004-05 and it is no coincidence that it was during this period that I found myself getting kicked out of venues on several occasions. I recall one particularly regrettable occasion when I had to be carried down the stairs by a bouncer because I was so out of control.

Vodka is another. I used to drink double’s but after being asked to leave a concert last Tuesday evening (arghhhh!) I shall not be touching it again.

It’s going to be solely real ale and Guinness from this point onwards.
    What concert were you at ??

I am a salmon !!

Ah, GRAPPA!

Back in the day I used to have an Italian mate and his old man worked in a restaurant and we used to have a couple of espresso and grappa each with lashings of sugar for some reason (I never put sugar in my Nescafe) in said establishment before hitting Camden Town on a rampage. 48 hours no sleep some weekends - not sure it was just the grappa though!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Gazebo View Post
    Another vote for gin. I like gin & tonic, but more than a couple and my behaviour becomes rather ... erratic shall we say.
    Yeah anyones Gin and Tonic or actually any clear liquid becomes yours.

Any recollection of the night when then the "PLC" hadn't stumped up the brass in time so the "social secretary" just borrowed £500 from the safe of his shop?!

Twas a great night,I had my fill despite being former staff,you drank about 40% of the pot. Me and Mrs Gazebo needed a wheelbarrow to extricate you.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    a decent G&T is one of the most underrated drinks going.
    Gin and Tonic is a classic but one that too many British pubs struggle with. Baby mixers contain too much tonic for a single measure of gin but insufficent for a double, ice is too often rationed to one or two cubes which instantly melt, and I can think of one or two places which only stock slimline tonic ("there's no demand").

Spain does G&T well as long as you're not driving and it's the best drink on aeroplanes, where beer and wine always disappoint. A 50ml miniature with a 150ml tin of tonic is the perfect 3:1 ratio and they don't stint on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    When I was much younger I often used to end the night with a neat Pernod.
    Ahhh Pernod.....

In my youth, for reasons I won't bore you with here, we had a year or so where we would finish the evening with several Pernod and Pineapples..

But Pernod is one of those drinks that is good value for money in that it sits in the stomach and is not quickly absorbed.

So first mug of tea the following morning and you are pissed as a fart again..

Several embarrasing Sunday morning footy defending disasters were put down to excessive Pernod the night before...
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

I am lucky in that drink makes me sleepy and not at all aggresive. The more I drink the more my slight stammer becomes noticeable, this gives the impression I have drunk more than I have.Plenty of scope there for feeling insulted but after 60 years I reckon I have heard them all. In fact I hardly hear anyone make a comment these days. Back to drinks

Port makes me depressed.
    Bacardi robs me of physical movement.
    GK IPA just not to my taste.
    Any sickly cream based drinks makes me heave.
    Liqueuers for the same reason though useful as flavourings.
    Any shooters / shots...waste of money

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    d but after 60 years I reckon I have heard them all. In fact I hardly hear anyone make a comment these days.
    Same here, but when I put the hearing aid in I do hear them

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Coffee. I wish someone could genetically manufacture some pestilent bug to wipe out the world's coffee resources. Tough on Brazil maybe but there you have it.
    Seconded. Can't stand the look, the smell or the taste. Always makes me feel a bit superior to be honest, seeing all these office workers clutching a Starbucks on their way to work, while I think "I'm awake already - I don't need it"

I used to never touch spirits (bar the occasional sambuca on a studenty night out). Recently however, if we're going on to a club, I've found that one or two vodka red bulls really perks me up, and means I can stay the course of the evening (when I was 18 or 19 I stuck to beer, got tired and usually disappeared at about 1-2am). I've yet to develop any sort of taste for whiskey, I find Jack Daniels undrinkable, and I don't really like G&Ts - or at least not more than one in any given evening.

I don't think I've ever drunk Port, Sherry, Baileys or Ouzo. I don't feel like I'm missing out, really.

I'd also like to second the Grolsch comments - truly awful
    It's not big and it's not clever

Sherry round the grandparents at Christmas
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Sherry round the grandparents at Christmas
    You cant moan at a decent Manzanilla
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !