Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drinks to avoid

White spirits seems to make me do things I regret later. Certainly no slammers for me. Normally a few ales, a few JD & Cokes and a whisky or two does me. By that time I'm too sleepy to do anything I regret
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

When I was much younger I often used to end the night with a neat Pernod.
    That was until I had a triple drinking contest with a mate. I felt ill for days and now just the smell of it makes me queasy !!

To be honest I can't stand Whisky or Brandy either

I can drink more or less any type of beer, lager or cider etc and I am fine with clear spirits like Gin, Vodka etc... - apart from Pernod

I am a salmon !!

This Space For Hire

There are some bitters with which I always start struggling with during the second pint, London Pride, GKIPA, Sam's OBB to name but three and end up switching to Guinness or lager. The only reason I get suckered into ordering them in the first place is that they so often tend to be the only cask ale on the bar, or only two if you hit a Pride/GKIPA win double.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Red Bull & Vodka, I would tell you why, but I can't remember

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

Another vote for gin. I like gin & tonic, but more than a couple and my behaviour becomes rather ... erratic shall we say.

Cider has been known to turn me into an aggressive idiot, but I can sense that approaching after a few, so can usually switch to sensible drinks in time. With gin, however, the silliness just seems to sneak up on me unexpectedly. Haven't touched it for years.
    And you can really taste the hops!

Coffee. I wish someone could genetically manufacture some pestilent bug to wipe out the world's coffee resources. Tough on Brazil maybe but there you have it.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I dont drink spirits anymore (exept Ouzo on holiday) because they cripple me with heartburn/indigestion .
    For some reason Murphys turns me from my mild mannered , slightly daft self when drinking into a right nasty b#st#rd , so i avoid it like the plague
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Stella Artois: any evening that has been ruined over the past decade has been due to my consumption of this vile ‘continental lager’. I’m generally OK after a couple, but any more and I quite literally turn for the worse. I become rude, vulgar and rather sadly – aggressive. I drank this beer a lot circa 2004-05 and it is no coincidence that it was during this period that I found myself getting kicked out of venues on several occasions. I recall one particularly regrettable occasion when I had to be carried down the stairs by a bouncer because I was so out of control.

Vodka is another. I used to drink double’s but after being asked to leave a concert last Tuesday evening (arghhhh!) I shall not be touching it again.

It’s going to be solely real ale and Guinness from this point onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    Stella Artois: ... I had to be carried down the stairs by a bouncer because I was so out of control.
    They didn't just push you? That's post that is!
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I don't think any drinks particularly affect my behaviour - apart from talking gibberish and falling asleep. However, as 'trainman' hinted port gives me atrocious hangovers because of the high level of congeners. It's usually made even worse by having lots of red wine with a meal beforehand. I love a decent malt but like Oggy it seems to give me dreadful heartburn.

I'm indifferent to voddy, quite partial to Ouzo (instantly transports me back to the Greek islands) and think a decent G&T is one of the most underrated drinks going. The only ones that I really detest are advocaat and grappa.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.